turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Good week. Good season.

Started by ChesterCopperpot, May 06, 2024, 06:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Didn't get to hunt nearly as much this year as I normally do. Always hunt NC (home) and SC (county I live in NC butts up to SC) so I get four birds a year to chase. Had some birds whoop me early season, one of which I caught up with later on (a story for another day). But up until a week ago I still hadn't finished a bird. Oddly enough I was content with the way it had all played out. I was satisfied with the encounters I'd had: plenty of birds well within gun range that just never offered a shot I was willing to take.

Then came last Monday when I caught up with the one that'd whooped me multiple times early season in the SC mountains...

SC public closed that Tuesday and I didn't fill that second tag, but so came Thursday morning at home...

And last but not least come yesterday's Sunday morning bird who preached one wonderful sunrise service. I caught him after church as he was headed to someone's house for fried chicken.

Late season has always been my time for birds, but it's rare it plays out like that—three birds in seven days. I'm still going to tromp around the woods with some friends but that's it for me behind the gun this year. Keep the edge honed, friends. Our game is one that can turn on a dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Way to go Dave! Congrats! You always take the best pics. That gun sure looks good next to the Old Gobbler. Kudos buddy.......
"Solo hunter"

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Tom007 on May 06, 2024, 07:01:01 AMWay to go Dave! Congrats! You always take the best pics. That gun sure looks good next to the Old Gobbler. Kudos buddy.......
That bird wouldn't break opening morning and I finally got him riled up wanting to fight. I watched him come 300yds across a burnt out ridge to get to me. He'd jump on a log, half strut, hammer, keep coming. Last 75 or so he never took one step right or left, just a straight line toward me keeping himself behind trees. Got to about ten yards, didn't see what he'd heard and had run out of space to believe the lie, he just flat took to the wing. Tore me up. Haunted me. When I caught up to him at the end of season he was worn out from whooping a$$. Ain't have a feather left on his chest and had long ago lost an eye in a fight. Whole time he come in he kept his good eye to me. Was wild. He was the fighter. Good bird. Double bearded with real good spurs for a mountain bird.

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on May 06, 2024, 07:10:13 AM
Quote from: Tom007 on May 06, 2024, 07:01:01 AMWay to go Dave! Congrats! You always take the best pics. That gun sure looks good next to the Old Gobbler. Kudos buddy.......
That bird wouldn't break opening morning and I finally got him riled up wanting to fight. I watched him come 300yds across a burnt out ridge to get to me. He'd jump on a log, half strut, hammer, keep coming. Last 75 or so he never took one step right or left, just a straight line toward me keeping himself behind trees. Got to about ten yards, didn't see what he'd heard and had run out of space to believe the lie, he just flat took to the wing. Tore me up. Haunted me. When I caught up to him at the end of season he was worn out from whooping a$$. Ain't have a feather left on his chest and had long ago lost an eye in a fight. Whole time he come in he kept his good eye to me. Was wild. He was the fighter. Good bird. Double bearded with real good spurs for a mountain bird.

An Old Warrior. It's so rewarding when you go to battle with him, lose, then eventually you catch him off guard and close the deal. Those are some nasty hooks, especially from a Mountain bird. Great job, thanks for sharing!
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Awesome my friend, congrats love the pictures with the vintage shotgun..

Lcmacd 58

Dr Juice

Awesome double beard. Congrats.

3bailey3

Awesome bird and pics! Congrats David!

Kygobblergetter

Congratulations on a fine season! Great pictures

Turkeybutt

Congratulations on a really good season. Thanks for sharing the photos and the story. We appreciate it!

RED NECK

Great Pics after a Great week....Congrats!!
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

JeffC

Congratulations on a great season CCpot!! Good read and great pictures, thanks for sharing!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr