turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Taking the safety off...spook a turkey?

Started by Treerooster, May 01, 2024, 11:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I have hunted public grounds with some degree of pressure, and have hunted private grounds with less pressure...  I have yet to see a bird react to the "click" of the safety.  However, I do not have a loud safety...  And, I usually pinch off the safety to stay even more quiet (as I am just naturally in quiet mode while hunting turkeys).

I feel that talking and whispering is far more deleterious than the gun safety going off...  Sure, plenty of birds still come in with quiet whispering, but I feel there are other birds that would have shown, that do not.

I know that it is a lot easier to get a bird in range hunting by myself...  Less movement to see, and it is difficult to sit in silence all day with a partner.

I would think that the "click" of the safety would make them periscope their head for an instant? 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

WV Flopper

I am the most unsafe hunter out there.

When I set up: leaves/sticks/ rocks out from under my setting area. Set. Sling off. Red dot on.

When "I" am confident the turkey is closing distance to me: Safety is off!

Could be 150, 100 or what ever yards. I have never had a turkey hear my safety go to fire.

I do check it, holy cow I would like to know how many times I do check it. It's continuous.

I do much prefer the thumb safety but the above post about the steady grip stock does raise my eyebrow a tad.

RutnNStrutn

I mainly hunt with a single shot 20 without a safety these days, so no issues there. When I do hunt with a gun that has a safety, I click it off ahead of time if I feel he is coming in. If he doesn't, I just put the safety back on.

BrowningGuy88

I really like the tang safety. He can be 5 yards and a well oiled tang sliding safer isn't going to spook. Even if it does, he dies.

If I'm using one of the many others with sliding safety in the trigger assembly, then I try to use 2 fingers to push it and hold back pressure on it. I don't overthink it though. If he gets in range I just put the sites on his head, click the safety and pull the trigger. Been at it 30 years and killed over 100 and never spooked one with a safety.

ScottTaulbee

I use mossberg's for turkey hunting and that tang safety is the way to go in my opinion. But with that being said, "A safety is a mechanical device that can sometimes fail". I don't put much stock in the safety and I handle the gun with the assumption that the safety doesn't work anyway. With that being said, my gun is always in a safe line of fire regardless of whether I'm carrying it or waiting on a gobbler. Another thing that I do is not pick the gun up until I shoot. The sitting in front of a tree with your gun on your knees never made sense to me. Since i started turkey hunting as a kid, I've always sat BEHIND a bush, tree, log, whatever, on my knees, with the gun lying diagonal in front of me, stock by my right leg, barrel in front of my left leg, when the gobbler gets in range, I raise the gun up, put the bead on the head, slip the safety off and boom. I've never had one spook from me raising the gun or taking the safety off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp_870

Most of the time when you see that shot built into the video it's being used as a cutaway to either speed up the hunt or allow the editor to cut out some janky footage. Camera guys that film hunts for tv are constantly having to level their tripods, focus lenses, change batteries, and make sure they are hidden when filming hunts.

The other reason you'll see it is if the gun manufacturer or optic manufacturer is a sponsor of the show. If you see a big logo on shots like this they are probably showing their sponsors some love. IMO those kinds of shots take away from the hunt and there are better ways to promote a sponsor. 

I can't tell you why anyone would want to wait to click their safety off once the turkey's in range though. Seems like you are asking to get busted by doing that.