OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pistol grip or traditional stock

Started by Jstocks, January 27, 2019, 02:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 27, 2019, 08:30:17 PM
Regular stock preferably walnut. I hate pistol gripped stocks or "tactical" anything on a hunting gun. A regular stock is more comfortable and quicker to shoulder and shoot imo
I didn't wanna say this cause I don't wanna offend anyone but I'm also one that feels the same. This and Yoder's sentiments mirror mine. To each his own though. Just not my cup of tea. Around by me most tactical type guys are yahoos. I know that's not why guys here use em though. Not one competitive wingshooter uses pistol grips cause they don't lend themselves to that. I agree reg stocks are way faster to mount and shoot. We don't normally wingshoot but occasionally someone needs a second shot to stop running game. Imo that's where a regular stock shines. Standing shot like we usually take it's actually not a major advantage either way. 

davisd9

For a turkey gun I like a pistol grip. Looks wise, not my favorite but for turkey hunting it makes the most sense. You will have more times of sitting still in the same position for a extended period of time waiting on a shot than you will have to try and swing a gun to shoot at a moving target. I really do not get the swinging, moving target rational as you are aiming the shotgun like a rifle 95% of the time you are turkey hunting rather than swinging like you are wingshooting and that 5% you are mostly seeing how fast they can go more than anything else. The pistol grip helps control recoil, it helps with getting back on target quickly after a shot in case you need a follow up, and it helps holding the gun up in a single position for extended time easier because of the ergonomics of it. To each their own, I have hunted both and will probably in the future, but for improving my equipment to be as efficient as possible I prefer the pistol grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Quote from: davisd9 on January 28, 2019, 07:46:54 AM
For a turkey gun I like a pistol grip. Looks wise, not my favorite but for turkey hunting it makes the most sense. You will have more times of sitting still in the same position for a extended period of time waiting on a shot than you will have to try and swing a gun to shoot at a moving target. I really do not get the swinging, moving target rational as you are aiming the shotgun like a rifle 95% of the time you are turkey hunting rather than swinging like you are wingshooting and that 5% you are mostly seeing how fast they can go more than anything else. The pistol grip helps control recoil, it helps with getting back on target quickly after a shot in case you need a follow up, and it helps holding the gun up in a single position for extended time easier because of the ergonomics of it. To each their own, I have hunted both and will probably in the future, but for improving my equipment to be as efficient as possible I prefer the pistol grip. 

I agree with this 100 percent, the pistol grip gives you a lot more control of your shotgun..

bobk

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 28, 2019, 09:06:17 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on January 28, 2019, 07:46:54 AM

I agree with this 100 percent, the pistol grip gives you a lot more control of your shotgun..

Well said!!!!!!!

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Bowguy on January 28, 2019, 05:50:38 AM
Regular stock preferably walnut. I hate pistol gripped stocks or "tactical" anything on a hunting gun. A regular stock is more comfortable and quicker to shoulder and shoot imo
I didn't wanna say this cause I don't wanna offend anyone but I'm also one that feels the same. 
Lol I didn't intend to offend either, just one of my pet peeves. I don't know if it's the industry I work in,construction, or just my misfortune, but I come into contact with a high percentage of what I call "Never was " a cousin to "has beens". A large group of mostly early 30s individuals that for whatever reason never were in the Military but are obsessed with attaching rails, grips, flashlites, odd sling attachments etc, to every firearm they can. They own at least one highly customized AR-15 and have volumes of specifics on which aftermarket part fits which AR reciever. They know it all except they have no Combat experience, have no idea what the military really uses or what does and doesn't work when your life is on the line. Every time I see a pistol grip on a shotgun can't help but think of these heros. Not saying everyone that has a pistol grip shotgun is one, just looks like it to me.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Jstocks

Thanks to all for the input.
After feeling like I was too old to fit in with the cool crowd, and being worried about regulations on pistol grips (to which I fully understand are directed at those without shoulder sticks, but I travel a good bit and don't want issues upon arrival at airports in new states), as well as just not wanting to chang, I ordered a new Winchester today with a traditional stock.

This is still a good discussion and I was quite interested in trying a new style gun, but in the end I went with what I know. It didn't help that the only Longbeard my dealer good find was sold before I could get it even had I wanted one.

Thanks again everyone.

Bowguy

Quote from: LaLongbeard on January 28, 2019, 01:32:04 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on January 28, 2019, 05:50:38 AM
I didn't wanna say this cause I don't wanna offend anyone but I'm also one that feels the same. 
Lol I didn't intend to offend either, just one of my pet peeves. I don't know if it's the industry I work in,construction, or just my misfortune, but I come into contact with a high percentage of what I call "Never was " a cousin to "has beens". A large group of mostly early 30s individuals that for whatever reason never were in the Military but are obsessed with attaching rails, grips, flashlites, odd sling attachments etc, to every firearm they can. They own at least one highly customized AR-15 and have volumes of specifics on which aftermarket part fits which AR reciever. They know it all except they have no Combat experience, have no idea what the military really uses or what does and doesn't work when your life is on the line. Every time I see a pistol grip on a shotgun can't help but think of these heros. Not saying everyone that has a pistol grip shotgun is one, just looks like it to me.
I have the same exact experiences and as soon as this thread came up I materialized a bunch of guys exactly like you said. I also work construction. , To each his own though that's why they sell both types

Jeremy66

Traditional for me. Feels more natural to me since I waterfowl Hunt a lot. Also think they look better.

Happy

Traditional for me. I have never yet been in a position where a pistol grip would have made things any easier and on top of that I think they look hideous.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on January 28, 2019, 08:42:34 PM
Traditional for me. I have never yet been in a position where a pistol grip would have made things any easier and on top of that I think they look hideous.
Now Happy .. HIDEOUS ... really .... i wouldn't call your guns PLAIN JANE ..... lol  :TooFunny:

yelpaholic

To each his own I guess. I'm closer to 50 than 40 (that hurt) always hunted with regular stocks. Until I ran across the little Weatherby sa 459. Now with tss the little 20 out shoots my old 3.5 and handles like a dream . Change is sometimes good . ????

g8rvet

Amen yelp. I just wanted a dedicated turkey 20 and I love this little gun.  Held it up forever on a bird and just waited for the bird to walk into the sights.  I am sure I could have moved with a heavier gun and waited a little longer for him to get in a good position - I have done it before.  But it was so cool to easily hold it up and just let him walk into it.  Was just fun and that is why we do it. 

I understand those that like the traditional.  All my other guns are.  Bought a Side by Side this year just because I have never owned one for ducks.  May take a turkey with it one day just for the cool pics. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Happy

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 29, 2019, 12:30:56 PM
Quote from: Happy on January 28, 2019, 08:42:34 PM
Now Happy .. HIDEOUS ... really .... i wouldn't call your guns PLAIN JANE ..... lol  :TooFunny:
Ha! Had my turkey gun for almost 20 years and it looks like it was used to split firewood. Still shoots and functions fine though. Wouldn't trade it for a brand new benelli. It's a downright purty gun to me.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gobblers_nightmare

I much prefer a pistol grip gun. 
Many moons ago I had a bird hung up outside of my comfort range, in a wide open woods.  I had shouldered the gun when he first showed, and didn't want to move my arm.
After quite a spell my arm wanted to start flapping like a chicken wing, a pistol grip avoids that.  I changed and never went back.
I also believe the perceived recoil is less, since your hand absorbs some of the kick.
Cluck-Gobble-BOOM!