OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Beretta Teknys choke suggestion

Started by Walleyehawger, April 26, 2011, 06:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walleyehawger

My father has a Beretta 391 Teknys that he would like to se up for turkey. What chokes do you recommend in this gun.

SumToy

What choke is in it. They came with 3 different barrels.  Now that gun is no different then any other beretta.  It is just on the upper end of the guns. A lot of clay shooters have them.  Bad boy set up 650& HTL. Hunting set up 665. It will work with a 675 also. Just all in if you want to hunt or sit back and count shot.

By the way got 3 of them guns the shoot good.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Walleyehawger

He will be using it for hunting.  The chokes that are in it are Optima Choke Plus tubes that are currently in his gun.  So I take it that any good 665 tube should be a winner?  I have been a big fan of the IC tubes in my Winchester SX2. 

goblr77

My Xtrema Optima + didn't like the IC chokes. I ran Hevi 3.5" 2.25 oz 7's so I can't speak for the 3" loads.

SumToy

Quote from: Walleyehawger on April 26, 2011, 07:26:44 PM
He will be using it for hunting.  The chokes that are in it are Optima Choke Plus tubes that are currently in his gun.  So I take it that any good 665 tube should be a winner?  I have been a big fan of the IC tubes in my Winchester SX2. 

I can not say if the IC will work or not.  I have never shot one.  Call them to see what they would put in it.   The Optima Plus has the bigger bore in it so I would think the 665 should be a good all around hunting choke.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Gold Spur

My son uses a IC .665 in his 391 A2 and gets great patterns with H-13 2oz. 6's. His 391 has a 28" barrel. He hasn't shot any 7's yet, but I'm sure they will pattern great also.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Walleyehawger on April 26, 2011, 06:06:38 PM
My father has a Beretta 391 Teknys that he would like to se up for turkey. What chokes do you recommend in this gun.

Stu Wright, Wright's Gunsmiths, began making competition chokes for Beretta guns many years ago. He's a very well known choke designer and gunsmith, mainly in trap circles. If you've visited the Grand or most of the other larger trap shoots, you've probably met him or at least know of his work.

His first turkey chokes were for the Beretta line and they are still some of the best I've seen for that brand.

He makes a #1 which has a .670 e.d. a #2 which has a .660 e.d. and a #3 which has a .650 e.d. All are made from ETD-150PH steel, non-ported, with crowned muzzles and 1.3" of parallel section. They are rated for all lead and tungsten-based shot like Hevi-13.

It really all depends upon what shell or shells your father wants to shoot but I've frankly seen great results with the #3 and Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with both #6 and #7 shot sizes.

There are many other fine choices of course but the Wright's is a fine choke tube.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Walleyehawger

Thanks for all the info fellas. He will likely be shooting Hevi-13 number 6 in a 3" shell. We cannot legally shoot 7's here in Ontario. I have been shooting 3.5" Hevi-13 6's with great results. I let dad use my gun this morning on his first bird actually.