North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dumb Gobbler/ Great Caller Poll

Started by GobbleNut, February 11, 2011, 07:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In your turkey hunting experience, which of the following statements do you agree with most

If I call in a group of gobblers and kill one, the other ones are clueless and can be called in just as easily the next time I call to them
If I kill a gobbler out of a group, the others will be harder to call in next time
The turkeys I hunt are so dumb that I can call them in any time I want, no matter how many times I have called them in before
I am so good with a call that no gobbler has a chance against me, regardless of how hard they have been hunted by mere mortals like you guys.

GobbleNut

All this talk about call shyness and preseason calling.  Let's take a vote!

:newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot:

guesswho

I went with option one.  Gun blast and flopping buddy has little effect on them.  Gun shot, flopping buddy, and a running bush scares the crap out of them.  If you shoot one and sit still until they are all gone I think you have a good a chance the next day of killing one of the others.  If you jump up and run to the downed bird then I think you may need to move to another location to kill one of the others.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

PANYHunter

Quote from: guesswho on February 11, 2011, 07:09:36 PM
I went with option one.  Gun blast and flopping buddy has little effect on them.  Gun shot, flopping buddy, and a running bush scares the crap out of them.  If you shoot one and sit still until they are all gone I think you have a good a chance the next day of killing one of the others.  If you jump up and run to the downed bird then I think you may need to move to another location to kill one of the others.
I have to agree.  Sometimes they will come back in if they are call to as well

jakesdad

Option 1.I agree with guesswho.Sit still after you shoot one and let the others do what they will.I killed one that was the strutter out of a group of 4 longbeards in 08'.Sat stone still after I killed him and the other 3 flogged him hard then went on their way.came back the next day to the same area and called in the same 3 birds,all struttin now with the boss gone,and only 2 left.People jumpin up hollerin and such scares em more than a gun blast.just my .02 from my experiences.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Muskie03

Shoot gobbler. Let him flop. Other birds leave. Pick up gobbler. REPEAT :smiley-char092:
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

Flydown

Quote from: guesswho on February 11, 2011, 07:09:36 PM

Bingo! :icon_thumright:

unclerick

I went with the 2nd option, around here if you shoot a gobbler with other birds they take off like a covey of quail.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

timbrhuntr

I went with one also. Two years ago I called in a gobbler and shot a tree limb right in front of me. I was bummed. IHowever I went back the next day and sat 10 feet away from the day before and shot a gobbler. Can't say for sure it was the same bird but I believe it was.

Tail Feathers

I voted #2.  I think they learn a little from most every encounter with a hunter.  Wanted to vote #4 but didn't want you mere mortals to be too much in awe of me... :z-paddy-smiley113: :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

swamp_bird89

They really dont care about their floppin buddies....

Crutch

I had a group of jakes run in on me in tall weeds and I had to act quick so I shot the lead bird. The other two flew up and landed 15 yards futher. They looked at their brother like he was up to something silly again then they both gobbled at something down the field. Eventually they walked off.

Little brother was taking a dirt nap.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

socalturkeyman

I went with number 4! Cause I am the best lol, atleast I'd like to be leave so.....Hahaha
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

Basser69

I went with # 2 I think they Learn a little something more everytime you mess with them.

pullit

I went with #2 as well.
Wish the turkeys I hunted were as dumb as I am.... ;D

hobbes

Considering the whole remaining gang will turn right around and jump up and down on the flopping bird.........Ive seen it multiple times, Id have to say the initial blast scares the heck out of them, but they are completely clueless what just happend.  And.......I have turned around and called the remaining bird in on the very next day like he was on a string.  

However, since there seems to be some sort of war going on around here lately, and I prefer to root for the underdog..........I voted #4 to give it a fighting chance. ;D