OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Slate? Budget is $65.

Started by Buckman18, January 26, 2019, 09:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyturkeyhunter4

I like David Hallorans zebra wood it's around that price range

tomstopper

Check out lights out custom calls. I have a glass and slate from him that is a killer

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

Another light out vote, kinda surprised there is only 2.

turkeyfoot

One thing about a pot call there are tin good options don't think you could go wrong with any listed I myself love a slate got bunch by different people rarely to never have I gotten one I didn't like just did little homework

Bowguy

Schafer, MAC, Blackstone to name a few to look at. As you can see there's really no one "best"

Boykin Hollow

Lon Trice (Lonzo) was selling his at Unicoi for $65 each.  I will not go in the turkey woods without one of his calls in my vest.

Sixes

Yep, if you are in N GA, then definitely Lonnie Mabry, you can choose from lots of pots.

Ricky Padgett, Spring Allure, makes a great slate

Ranger

Quote from: Sixes on January 27, 2019, 08:53:08 AM
Yep, if you are in N GA, then definitely Lonnie Mabry, you can choose from lots of pots.

Ricky Padgett, Spring Allure, makes a great slate

Sixes is talking about my turkey vest now.  For $65 and that close you could pick up two calls from Lonnie Mabry and get your pick from dozens.  But for the last several years if I could only carry one call to the woods as far as friction goes it would be a Spring Allure Slate without question.  Might as well be the only one I carry as it is, other calls are just there to get jealous.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Swather

Quote from: Dukejb on January 26, 2019, 10:16:05 PM
Since your located in North Georgia, I would highly recommend Lonnie Mabry. My walnut and cedar slates from him are both fantastic. He doesn't ship calls, but his pots are well within your budget ($35) and worth the time to drive to his shop to buy. He's located just north of Canton in Waleska. If you're interested in his contact info, I'll PM it to you.

This is the best answer for your circumstances.

Lonnie is listed in the phone book and has a Canton zip code.  Anyone can look him up at whitepages.com and anywho.com.

I need to go by and see him, it has been a while since I visited.

PALongspur

bobk

jrinny

My favorite slate is from Mark Cornelius - green slate/ walnut and fits your price range