OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Spring Hen with a beard

Started by chrisun, February 11, 2011, 06:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would shoot a hen turkey with a beard in the spring?

Yes
17 (36.2%)
No
30 (63.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Flydown

I would not. First reason is, its not legal in Alabama. Second reason is, Half the meat and no leg jewelry. ;D

LX_Trkyhntr

I have no interest in killing a hen in the spring, bearded or not.
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

turkey_slayer

Killed 1 several years ago with a 5 inch beard.  It was late in the season and when I got to her most of her breast feathers were gone from sitting on the nest.  That bothered me so no I want shoot another one.

Skeeterbait

No but there is a beautiful smoke phase hen on my place I would like to mount.  But not legal here so she walks.  I can only hope she will produce me a smoke phase gobbler.

knightrider

voted no only because i can save that tag for a gobbler and shoot the hen in the fall when we have multiple hen tags :mycross:

hobbes

I dont have any desire to shoot a bearded hen, but it is legal in a lot of places. 

Ive seen one shot, but it was mistaken for a tom.  The tom had just gobbled on the other side of small rise, almost a levy, and immediately a turky come over the rise, turned broadside, and there was a decent beared sticking out there.  It was mine and a buddies first Merriams hunt.  They have a lot more color than an eastern due to the white, so he just did not recognize it as a hen, and a Merriam doesnt have much of a beard to begin with.  We had been trying to kill the tom for a couple days and he wasnt giving him any slack, so when the turkey he just knew was him popped over the rise, he rolled him back.  Imagine his/our surprise when we found a bearded hen.  If I had been the shooter, I would have likely made the same mistake.

I believe that is the only reason some states have made them legal.  They realize the likelyhood that a lot of guys, especially new turkey hunters, will mistake them for a tom.

Gobblerstopper

joshua

Not legal hear.  Don't think I could bring myself to do it if it was.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

WNY Bowhunter

It's legal here in NY, but I typically would not even consider shooting one in the spring. Bearded hens are pretty common in my neck of the woods and I normally will see several every spring while scouting/hunting.  I have killed two of them, one in the fall several years ago and this one during the Spring '09 season.  The later came in and actually assaulted my decoy like an enraged pitbull putting on a great show for me.  Unfortunately for her, it was the last morning of season...it was about to start pouring out...the longbeard that I'd roosted the night before was a no show and I still had a tag in my pocket.  This particully hen had screwed me up several times that season on hitlist gobbler #1, so the decision to take her out was a personal matter.  She had three eggs inside her but I didn't feel too bad about it.  There certainly hasn't been a lack of hens out there over the past several seasons to compete with...

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

WNY Bowhunter

Here's a bearded hen that I'd been watching on a buddy's farm for several years.  I didn't see her at all last spring so she may be dead now.  I almost killed her in the fall a couple of years ago but she passed by a little further away than I wanted to shot, so I whacked one of her poults instead (also killed her boyfriend in the top pic...;D).

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

simpzenith

I voted no. Now if I'm hunting with my bow or it's the last day of the season I may decide to take her but I wouldn't know for sure unless that happened. I have seen a lot of bearded hens during the season while gun hunting and never gave it a second thought as I wanted a gobbler.

spurman

NO, I have passed on several bearded hens.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE