OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Recommendations please

Started by talltines, February 11, 2011, 06:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talltines

Just recently bought an 835 tactical turkey gun. I was wondering if any of you guys had a recommendation for choke and shell combo.  This gun has a 20 inch barrel.  Any assistance is appreciated.

Jourdan_D

Shell's
Hevi-13 #6's or 7's

Chokes
Puregold, Kick's, Indian creek, Jellyhead all do good.

Only way to find the best combo that your gun likes is try a few

talltines

After researching a little bit it seems most people have good results with an Indian Creek 675 diameter choke out of the 835 in general.  Shells it seems probably Hevi 13 3 1/2 inch #7.   Would this shell choke combination still be a good choice considering my gun  has the short 20 inch barrel?
Thanks again for any info.

Jourdan_D

Barrel length has very little to do with your pattern.  you shell, force cone and choke control that.  I would suggest before you shot the gun you polish the barrel or at least do a deep clean.

VAHUNTER

Pure Gold .670 and Hevi13 21/4oz 3.5" #6's or #7's
Good things come to those who wait

joshua

Listen to VAHUNTER.  He puts up killer patterns with his 835.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

shootumindaface

Quote from: Jourdan_D on February 11, 2011, 08:26:35 PM
Barrel length has very little to do with your pattern.  you shell, force cone and choke control that.  I would suggest before you shot the gun you polish the barrel or at least do a deep clean.
Every 835 I have shot has loved a PG 670

Jourdan_D

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 12, 2011, 12:06:03 AM
Quote from: Jourdan_D on February 11, 2011, 08:26:35 PM
Every 835 I have shot has loved a PG 670

Not mine.  dont get me wroning the PG threw a good pattern but i was getting about 50 more pellets using my kicks GT.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I just bought a .675 Indian Creek BDS choke that I will test soon in my 835.  I will see how it compares to the Star Dot.  But the Star Dot shoots very well.  I think the Indian Creek choke is going to be a good one if it shoots like the other Indian Creek chokes I have for my 870.  Both those are perfect chokes in my honest opinion.  Here's the Star Dot pattern.  But they are no longer made.  But you may be able to find one off of here.

Jourdan_D

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on February 12, 2011, 12:51:01 PM
I just bought a .675 Indian Creek BDS choke that I will test soon in my 835.  I will see how it compares to the Star Dot.  But the Star Dot shoots very well.  I think the Indian Creek choke is going to be a good one if it shoots like the other Indian Creek chokes Ihave for my 870.  Both those are perfect chokes in my honest opinion.  Here's the Star Dot pattern.

That star dot is crap... send it to me and i'll throw it away for you :)  same goes for those Hevi shells you're shooting........ :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

ILIKEHEVI-13

And if you want to see how the Jelly Head does I tested it too.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Thanks Jordan.  Not bad for a $20 choke.  But I have very high expectations for the Indian Creek .675.  I didn't need it for the Star Dot is a hummer.  But I like to play.   :z-paddy-smiley113:

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's one more not as good as the one above but still a good pattern from the Star Dot.  It consistently stacks pellets like this one.  I need to go shoot it on a 80 or 90 degree day and see what it would really be capable of.   :lol:  For the money, I would have to say that this is probably the best choke shooting Hevi-13 loads.  It shoots the 6's extremely well, too.  Oh and all of these are shot from a tape measured 40yds from tip of choke to target.  These are all exactly 10" circles from the densest part of pattern.  The 20" patterns are exceptional as well from this choke.  I had another brand new Star Dot choke that I ended up giving to a friend because he told me he couldn't get his 835 to shoot.  I told him I have the cure and gave him some Hevi-13 loads too.   :lol:

Jourdan_D

So do I, i've spent over twice the money on chokes/shells then i did for the 835......

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Jourdan_D on February 12, 2011, 01:02:51 PM
So do I, i've spent over twice the money on chokes/shells then i did for the 835......

You don't want to know how much money I have spent over the years on chokes and I am still spending it.  I bought 3 chokes in the last month alone.