News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What’s the Ideal Turkey Gun...

Started by Spurs Up, December 09, 2018, 01:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs Up

that you don't have (yet)?

I have 3 dedicated guns now. I only need 1 more. For now.

For me...I think it's a 20 ga break-action double barrel, coach (20"-ish barrel), double triggers, overall length <40", threaded for chokes, vent rib with mount for reflex sight, trigger pull <4 lbs, sling attachments, and cerakote or camo dip. Oh yea, and weighing <6.5 lbs.

What about you?

davisd9

20 ga shooting bead with 22" barrel and pistol grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

1iagobblergetter

I have probably a dozen turkey guns all 12gauge. Semi,pump, single shots. Also a couple of shotgun turkey muzzleloaders.
I'm going to try a 20g. Semi auto this spring if I can find what I want. Probably a Benelli M2 20g. 24 inch barrel.

Happy

To me any reliable shotgun with a choke that is capable of putting 100 or more pellets of a size heavy enough to kill a turkey in a 10" circle at point of aim at 40 yards will make a good turkey gun. As humans we tend to make things more complicated than they have to be. Find a gun you like and are confident in and find a good choke/load combo and hunt it. Could be a $100.00 single shot or a $4000.00 custom semi-auto. It's your taste and wallet that makes that call.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Double B

I might spring for a smaller framed 20 sxs choked full and mod, kind of looking for a beater oldie for field use but still a tight gun. The kind you didn't know you needed until you saw it in the rack at the local shop. 
Followed by buzzards

Fullfan

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on December 09, 2018, 01:57:11 PM
I have probably a dozen turkey guns all 12gauge. Semi,pump, single shots. Also a couple of shotgun turkey muzzleloaders.
I'm going to try a 20g. Semi auto this spring if I can find what I want. Probably a Benelli M2 20g. 24 inch barrel.

Same here I have a lot of money tied up in 12ga,s chokes and shells that will never hunt again. I have 2 20ga's the Weatherby sa459 and a Winchester sx-3 long beard also in 20 ga.  Both of the 20's shoot TSS are very light and came with a pistol grip.
Don't gobble at me...

diyj98

One that kicks no more than a 10 pound .410, shoots at least 3 oz of shot, and never misses out to 100 yards :)   Actually I have to agree with Happy that we sometimes make choosing a turkey gun a lot more complicated than it really ought to be.

PALongspur

Quote from: Happy on December 09, 2018, 09:01:55 PM
To me any reliable shotgun with a choke that is capable of putting 100 or more pellets of a size heavy enough to kill a turkey in a 10" circle at point of aim at 40 yards will make a good turkey gun. As humans we tend to make things more complicated than they have to be. Find a gun you like and are confident in and find a good choke/load combo and hunt it. Could be a $100.00 single shot or a $4000.00 custom semi-auto. It's your taste and wallet that makes that call.

This is so true! Think of all the birds we killed before HTL shot and even back in the (gasp!!!) 2 3/4" magnum days!!

That being said, I'll be toting a 20 gauge slinging TSS 9s again this spring.

Greg Massey

Remington 870, 20 gauge with 565 Truelock choke, 21 inch barrel with pistol grip stock and Simmons pro diamond scope ... shells either Federal HW 7 or Tss 9

LaLongbeard

I saw the "don't have yet" but here's my 2 cents.

I started with a 12 gauge magnum Wingmaster and that's all I use it's been to a lot of states and has never let me down. I've patterned it with several different loads and I know exactly what the pattern does from 0-40 yards. I know there's lighter guns with less recoil that would do the same thing but the old 870 has been with me every hunt since the first one and will be on the last one.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

trkehunr93

My 12 gauge mossbergs are all I need, I know alot of folks are switching to 20's and .410's but I'm content where I'm at. 

Turkeytider

LOTS of different guns can and have taken thunder chickens. For me, I like very much my 870 Super Mag, camo, sling, red dot with a 23" barrel and a .660 jellyhead. Regardless of gun, I think a barrel under 26" is the way to go. Just easier to handle in tighter quarters. Also, I`m an optics convert. Really helps my confidence.

If I were in the market and wanted a SA, based on my experience with my Remington walnut V3, I`d SERIOUSLY consider the new Turkey Pro V3 variant.

dirt road ninja

A somewhat light, reliable, shorter weapon with simple yet sturdy sights. It should have removable chokes and be capable of handling 3" loads. Either pump or semi, i prefer semi. I'd also stay away from anything that I would get upset about getting scratched. The ammo makes the gun.

nyhunter

light clean crisp trigger, Short 20"-23", Light weight , kill's clean at 40yds with bead sights.

haystaddle

Quote from: dirt road ninja on December 12, 2018, 11:21:46 AM
A somewhat light, reliable, shorter weapon with simple yet sturdy sights. It should have removable chokes and be capable of handling 3" loads. Either pump or semi, i prefer semi. I'd also stay away from anything that I would get upset about getting scratched. The ammo makes the gun.

Bingo!