turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I need some help

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 25, 2011, 04:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Last year, I used some kits to make a few pot calls.  So far, 3 of the calls sound nice.  I have a few I would like to fix though.  That is where I need help.  One is paduk with a cherry sb and an aluminum surface.  I would like to get the surface off and replace the sb with glass.  The other is blasted glass with a slate sb that I would like to take apart and and try a different sb.  All of the calls are glued with GOOP.  I read that using gas would help dissolve the GOOP but that makes me nervous about the smell and what it could do to the wood.  What is the best way to deal with my issue, toss them and start over, or try to fix them?  If it is to fix them, how would you do it?

wisconsinteacher

Update.  I just got two done but I did not try the one with aluminum.  I used the microwave for the others but with the metal, I don't know what to do?  Heat worked on the others.  12 sec in the micro and I pushed the sb and playing surface out with an old striker from the back side.

cleanslate

Since you gooped it I would try applying heat to the outside of the top surface with something like a lighter or something to try to loosen the goop.

stone road turkey calls

you can use a simple 100 watt light bulb in a work lite, put it above the call not to close you may burn the wood and let it heat the call surface for about 2 hrs. you should be able to push the surface away from the call. you can do the same for the sound board. good luck
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

wisconsinteacher

Well I got it out.  I had the oven on 350 tonight so I put the call in for one minute and it popped right out.  Now I need to find a new sound board to put in a 3.25" paduk pot with an aluminum surface and a sb for a 3.5" cherry pot with a crystal surface.

Gobblerstopper

Heat will definitely break goop down.  Quicker than most other adhesives.  I do not use goop, but always try to tell a customer that I get to speak to that they should never leave any call in a vehicle on a warm/hot day.  It is really kind of scary when you see how little heat will break some adhesives down.