OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

need some help with 500 super bantam

Started by coyotetrpr, April 25, 2011, 01:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotetrpr

I have a 500 super-bantam that my wife is using this turkey season. I have been using h-13 #6 and an undertaker choke. This combo gave a great pattern on paper, but that may now be a problem as she has been missing a lot. I am going to take the undertaker out of the gun and install the factory full or maybe even the modified choke to give her some more wiggle room. What I would really appreciate from you all is shell suggestions that have worked well for even patterns with 30 yds being max. It is right in the heart of season so I don't have a lot of time to test shells. Thanks for the info.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

goblr77

If you go with the factory full I would suggest Hevi 7's or Fed 7's. You will need more shot with that open choke.

mightyjoeyoung

Pretty sure it isn't the choke or the gun...

Could it be she is not keeping her cheek down on the stock and in the excitement of the moment, is shooting over the bird?  It is a common mistake to want to pick up your head and look at the bird rather than down the rib and super-impose the bead on the turkey's head.  Hope this helps.  May want to mount a red dot type sight to help with the "target panic".
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

coyotetrpr

Gun has adjustable ghost ring sight. I have no doubt that she is picking her head up or flinching or both in the excitement. That is why I have chosen to open up the pattern for a quick and temporary fix.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.