OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg question.

Started by jim570, April 25, 2011, 11:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim570

I am new to this forum and do not have much experience with turkey hunting.  My son has a 935 with 28" barrel and I just bought a new 835 two months ago.  We have put Burris Fast Fires on both guns.  Put an Indian Creek .675 on the 935.  It didn't seem to make an amazing difference in pattern shooting Win. Supreme #6.

The 835 has the ported barrel and adjustable trigger and Ulti-full Moss. choke.  I am not impressed with the pattern this gun shoots with Win. Supreme #6.  I am considering putting a Pure Gold on the 835 for a better pattern and to compare it with the Indian Creek choke on my son's 935.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to tighten up our patterns?  I am also considering going to Hevi #7.

archery1

the winchesre supremes, federal and hevi all shot good at 25 yrds,,  but only the hevi held a great patttern at 40 yards.. i shoot a mossy also .. i shoot hevi 3" 7's now.. i patterned  all sorts of shells.. the hevi 3"  6's do well too
Take a kid hunting

Gobble!

Hevi shot will provide you with the increased pattern density you are looking for. Go with the #7s

bowhunter84

Quote from: Gobble! on April 25, 2011, 11:15:20 AM
Hevi shot will provide you with the increased pattern density you are looking for. Go with the #7s
:agreed: :icon_thumright:

new2turkey

Quote from: Gobble! on April 25, 2011, 11:15:20 AM

:agreed:

goblr77

A Pure Gold will smoke in the 835 with 2.25oz #7's.

jim570

I don't want to shoot 3 1/2 loads in the 835.  The 3 in. loads have as much recoil as I want to deal with.  The 935 is a much more comfortable gun to shoot and my son has shot 3 1/2 loads with no problem.  He is 16 years old and about 120 lbs.

new2turkey

Quote from: jim570 on April 25, 2011, 11:26:30 AM
I don't want to shoot 3 1/2 loads in the 835.  The 3 in. loads have as much recoil as I want to deal with.  The 935 is a much more comfortable gun to shoot and my son has shot 3 1/2 loads with no problem.  He is 16 years old and about 120 lbs.

You can try 3" shells, patterns are pretty good too.

bbcoach

Jim,
I second the 3 1/2" #7s with a Pure Gold .670 choke.  Add a Limbsaver on the back end and the 835 shoots like a 20 guage with Dove loads.  SWEET SHOOTING TURKEY KILLER!!!!!!

trkehunr93

For starters get rid of the factory choke in your 835, get something in the .670-.675 range and get some Hevi-13 3.5" #7's.  Buy a Limbsaver recoil pad and a Beartooth comb rasing kit and you will want to shoot it all day long!  If you add these two things to your gun it makes a HUGE difference and it does feel like shooting a 20 gauge, I wouldn't shy away from the 3.5's.

goblr77

Quote from: trkehunr93 on April 25, 2011, 11:46:02 AM
For starters get rid of the factory choke in your 835, get something in the .670-.675 range and get some Hevi-13 3.5" #7's.  Buy a Limbsaver recoil pad and a Beartooth comb rasing kit and you will want to shoot it all day long!  If you add these two things to your gun it makes a HUGE difference and it does feel like shooting a 20 gauge, I wouldn't shy away from the 3.5's.

I wouldn't shy away from the 3.5's either. You're selling yourself and the gun short.

mossy835

The limb saver at the least will make your shotgun more enjoyable. The turkey loads from Environ metal in #6 or #7 shot 3 inch or 3 1/2 in will do the job. The shells cost more money but are worth it. Practice with lead and shot for real with HM loads. Good luck and have fun.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: goblr77 on April 25, 2011, 11:54:17 AM
Quote from: trkehunr93 on April 25, 2011, 11:46:02 AM

I wouldn't shy away from the 3.5's either. You're selling yourself and the gun short.

I agree.

Pure Gold .670 is the way to go or find a good Star Dot.  A Tru -Glo SSX .670 will shoot very well for the money. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: jim570 on April 25, 2011, 11:06:24 AM
I am new to this forum and do not have much experience with turkey hunting.  My son has a 935 with 28" barrel and I just bought a new 835 two months ago.  We have put Burris Fast Fires on both guns.  Put an Indian Creek .675 on the 935.  It didn't seem to make an amazing difference in pattern shooting Win. Supreme #6.

The 835 has the ported barrel and adjustable trigger and Ulti-full Moss. choke.  I am not impressed with the pattern this gun shoots with Win. Supreme #6.  I am considering putting a Pure Gold on the 835 for a better pattern and to compare it with the Indian Creek choke on my son's 935.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to tighten up our patterns?  I am also considering going to Hevi #7.

First of all welcome to OG. I shoot both of those guns. One of the most important things that you can do to enhance performance of your fine Mossberg guns is to "deep clean" the bore. If you're not familiar with that procedure, here's an article that you may find helpful. http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282 It will really help more than you might imagine.

I prefer to shoot 3" shells in my 835 & 935 because they pattern very well and have less recoil which allows me to get off a second shot if necessary. I recommend the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot. Both will pattern very well.

The 835 - 935 guns with those shells, in my experience, normally do much better with chokes with a .670 exit diameter than any other. I've had excellent patterns with the Pure Gold and SSX. The exception to that rule for me has been the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke with an e.d. of .676 and that's all about the "internals".

I normally use a slip on recoil pad over the factory pad when patterning. I like the Shooter's Friend because it only adds 1/4" to the length of pull but really helps with reducing recoil and it's very moderately priced as well.

You have 2 great guns and with just a little work, they should both give you outstanding patterns and years of trouble free service.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ILIKEHEVI-13

My opinion on the 835.  If you are going to truly ring out the advantage of having a 835 or 935 with the larger .775 backbore barrel, there really is no need to shoot 3" shells in either gun unless you are worried about recoil.  And if that is the case then I would suggest folks to just buy a 3" chamber or better yet a 2 and 3/4" chamber gun and stick with those.  Here's why I say that about the 3" shells.  And the same thing goes for the Star Dot choke as well.  

These are both the same Pure Gold .670 choke out of my 835 shot at a taped 40yds.  Only shot one shot of each through this choke the last time I shot.  The 3.5" load was the very first shot through this new choke by the way.

Hevi-13" 3" 2oz #7's

Hevi-13 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz #7's

Now is shooting the 1/4oz less shot in the 3" shell worth the less pattern density you will get just because it is saving your shoulder by a little bit?

Get the point?   :z-guntootsmiley: