OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My First Batch of Box Calls

Started by turkeyguy53, September 23, 2018, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyguy53

Here are some pics of my first batch of box calls. Some were precut and I used them to get an idea of the process. Then I did get around to cutting my own pieces to assemble. It took the most time to get the laser images to run at the correct size and depth for cutting the image. I purchased a laser machine off of www.aliexpress.com for less than $100. But it was not easy to get started due the limited instructions. I could download about any online picture, even the pay ones, and then move the image to my desktop. From there it could be moved to the screen of the software laser machine. It was a learning curve to get the size and depth of cut correct. But, it's a start. Now to get more accuratre cuts and assembley techniques. I think that I will purchase the lids as there is not way I can make the curved side with any skill I have. No biggie thou. 

MDTOM84

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleNut

Pretty nice looking calls,...especially for someone just starting to make them.  Of course, the real question is how do they sound?  I'm pretty amazed that you acquired a laser engraver for a hundred bucks that actually works,...thought those machines were a lot more expensive than that.   :icon_thumright:

turkeyguy53

Actually. you can get laser engravers with a CNC engraver in one machine for less than $200. It will be my next toy for sure.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on September 23, 2018, 10:37:23 PM
Pretty nice looking calls,...especially for someone just starting to make them.  Of course, the real question is how do they sound?  I'm pretty amazed that you acquired a laser engraver for a hundred bucks that actually works,...thought those machines were a lot more expensive than that.   :icon_thumright:
A friend of mine built one using a 3D printer. Out of the 3D printer.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

turkeyguy53

The sound is as good as any box call I have or use. But, these calls are gifts to Grandboys, who don't hunt. And then to a hunting buddy and some other hunter friends. Good gifts until I get better.