OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's considered a trophy bird???

Started by jonhaga, April 24, 2011, 09:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcgobbler

Any bird with 10" beard plus and at least 1 1/8 hooks are what me and my buddy consider a really nice birds.  But I must admit any bird I kill is very special to me.

flhuntress

every bird is a trophy to me and they all get mounted in one way or another......

unclerick

Quote from: Flydown on April 24, 2011, 09:50:00 PM
Every turkey I kill is a trophy to me. Some turkeys mean more to me depending on the hunt. Some of my best trophy turkeys were 2 year olds. I have 2 turkeys mounted and every time I look at them I think about that hunt and how good it felt to win the game that day.
My thoughts exactly, my first bird was a big jake with a 4in beard, mounted his tail fan and beard and it's hanging on the wall next to the rest of them. I'm just as pround of him as any of them.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

Bigsho69

In Kansas the state considers a trophy bird scoring 65 or more.  It really isnt that easy to get a bird over 65.  I think a bird of 65 or more is a "trophy bird" however a "trophy" is in the eye of the beholder.  My first turkey with a bow only had a 4" beard and wouldnt have scored squat.  Still a trophy to me. 

Yooper

I think any ethically taken turkey can be considered a trophy.  The first one I shot was a jake, but it meant as much to me as any of the older birds I've taken. 

mnturkey

As others have said they are all trophys.
I have one mounted and he only has one spur but he is a trophy to me and looking at him every night I can relive the hunt.
That is what a trophy is to me the opportunity to relive the hunt and the memories he creates.
SEMPER FI

VaTuRkStOmPeR

all successful hunts are memorable and some unsuccessful hunts will leave a man with such a profound sense of satisfaction that they are memorable.  i believe many have a tendency to conflate memorable hunts with "trophy" results.

that being said, a 2 year old ain't a trophy bird.  a jake ain't a trophy bird.  while encounters with those animals may be satisfying and enjoyable they do not warrant "trophy" designation in my mind.  i am in no way belittling these animals, nor do i profess to be too arrogant to shoot a 2 year old.... (and i do love me some rockstar 2 year old gobblers).  however, a trophy is a mature animal that has honed defense mechanism and an uncanny ability to avoid harvest. 

any bird with 1.25" spurs or better is a trophy bird to me.

im sure many will disagree, but these are just my honest opinions on the matter.

trkehunr93

Every bird I successfully call in and kill is a trophy for me.  I wish that I had mounted the first gobbler I killed, first time I got to see one strut.  That tore me apart!  Also the fact that i called him past 2 other hunters that were trying to call him in to made it that more special!  Had no idea they were trying to work him as it was a very windy April morning

Hognutz

If the bird made memories that will last a lifetime. It is a trophy, in my book. Once mounted, everytime you look at that bird, you will relive the hunt. That is precious. A tail fan, among many on the wall, will blend in with the rest. A mount will not do that. The bad news is that they are expensive to have done. The good news is that you only have to pay once, for a lifetime of memories..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

mmusso

Any of them that I am fortunate enough to call in and either pass a clean shot on (depending on my mood) or shoot and kill are trophies to me, whether they are 2yr olds or 5yr olds. If they played the game and gave me the opportunity to shoot, I feel like I've won.

jonhaga

Well guys i appreciate all the input. I've dropped the ole tom off at the taxidermist. It was the biggest bird I've ever harvested so I decided to mount him.

Hognutz

Good move. You will not regret it..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

guesswho

Quote from: jonhaga on April 28, 2011, 03:51:43 PM
Well guys i appreciate all the input. I've dropped the ole tom off at the taxidermist. It was the biggest bird I've ever harvested so I decided to mount him.
Enjoy him when you get him back.  If you don't mind me asking what pose are you getting him done in?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

surehuntsalot

any one that I can get in the front of my gun legally
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

hoyt

I mount my own turkeys and can do it a lot cheaper than if I had to pay someone, so it doesn't take a whole lot for one to be a trophy to me. If it's a real big bird, extra long spurs, real full, long, beard, or one I killed with a special gun like a flintlock I built or bow...etc. I'll mount it. However, I just killed a first with a flintlock I built just to hunt gobblers with and he's a half decent bird, but I didn't mount it just because turkeys are a lot of work and I didn't feel like fooling with it.

Click on thumbnail for full view