OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's considered a trophy bird???

Started by jonhaga, April 24, 2011, 09:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basser69

strutnva

It all depends on the hunt, let's just say you pulled off the road, yelped 3 times and he came running in, now that's not that memorable.  Just kiddin, you know you got the dragon son.

BG

redarrow

TauntoHawk

You got a trophy!

I consider 60+ a really good bird

70+ is a trophy and a mount worthy bird

but these are just my standards with the easterns I hunt.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ky strutt n bust n

I am a 19 year old kid who has been hunting since i was just a little young'n well before i could even take a gun. me and my dad have been on many memorable hunts together. to be honest any and every turkey i have ever taken with him or my buddies is a trophy to me. even the ones that get away! lol! getting to watch a bird strutt up to 50 yrds and something go wrong is a trophy. im sure many others would disagree, but its just the thrill that makes a it a trophy to me!

stinkpickle

Quote from: CASH on April 25, 2011, 12:21:10 AM
All of them are trophys

This.  And that's another reason I prefer turkey hunting to modern deer hunting.

Mailman

Was curious, with the one I took to the taxidermist, wwhat it would score. It came out to 74.5
This was a trophy to me because he was big, got him all on my own, used the calls that I made, and one of my handloaded TSS shells. Very memorable hunt.
One Shot One Kill

neal

Sounds like a great bird to me!!! My buddies and I talk about this subject often and how hard it can be to get the "trifecta" beard, spurs, weight. And you got all 3 so congrats!!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

ohiostrutter

Watching my daughter shoot her 18 lb jake this year for her first turkey was defenitley one of my best trophys

Hognutz

The big one that got away is usually a trophy.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

dixiedeerslaya

ITS ALL ABOUT THE SPURS FOR ME... sure, some of my most memorable hunts have been with two year old birds, but the first thing i look at when i walk up to a dead turkey is his spurs.  ive been fortunate enough to kill two birds with legit 1.5" spurs over the last three years.  however the first one had a little something extra, he also had 4 beards!.... i never thought i would mount a turkey, but when i killed that one, i knew it was wall worthy.....

this guy scored 113, and only weighed 19lbs.  

here he is mounted....

heathwesley

We all love a long beard and set of hooks on a turkey but its more about the hunt sometimes.  To be honest I have had some of the coolest hunts with some birds that were not typically considered trophys.

guesswho

Quote from: jonhaga on April 24, 2011, 09:23:44 PM
Hey guys I just wanted to get a general idea of what people consider a trophy turkey by the scoring system. Saturday morning I killed my biggest bird ever which scored just over 69 and I'm debating on mounting it. Any opinions???
Final score and other peoples opinions have no influence on what I consider a trophy. 

It's your money, and if you feel he his worthy of a mount by all means have him mounted.  And enjoy thinking about the hunt every time you look at him.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

coyotetrpr

Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.