OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's considered a trophy bird???

Started by jonhaga, April 24, 2011, 09:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonhaga

Hey guys I just wanted to get a general idea of what people consider a trophy turkey by the scoring system. Saturday morning I killed my biggest bird ever which scored just over 69 and I'm debating on mounting it. Any opinions???

Flydown

Every turkey I kill is a trophy to me. Some turkeys mean more to me depending on the hunt. Some of my best trophy turkeys were 2 year olds. I have 2 turkeys mounted and every time I look at them I think about that hunt and how good it felt to win the game that day.

frank1969

i like spurs thats what i look for it is all what makes you happy each hunt is specal

30_06

That sounds like a pretty good score to me, and worthy of being mounted!
Personally, I have never mounted a turkey. I have always done the tail fan with beard and spurs/feet.

cannonball

Everyone is going to have a different opinion of a trophy. If he is a trophy to you, that's all that matters.

turkey_slayer

All the turkeys I've killed I consider trophys.  If you talking stats then here in this part of Va. anything over 21lbs, 1.25" spurs, and 10.5" beards are considered excellent.  This is what I consider "trophy" in the mountains I hunt.

jonhaga

I agree 100% that every bird is a trophy. But was just wondering what other people considered a trophy so to speak based on the scoring system. This bird has 1 3/8 hooks that are needle sharp a 10 13/16 thick beard and was 20.5 lbs.

Galvin900

That is a trophy all day long in my book! Plus like the other guys are saying, what is important is what goes through your mind down the road when you look at the mount. When an athelete wins a gold medal that represents more than a pretty gold coin. Its is the work they put into getting it, and the fun winning it.

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

njdevilsb

I agree with what all the others have said on what a trophy is. 

That's a real nice bird you got, so I wouldn't hesitate sending him to the taxidermist.

Gobble!

In my case its a birds with 1.25" or longer spurs with a 10"+ beard.

longbeardlife.com

All birds that are taken are trophies.  The hunt is as important as the bird to me.

doepee

TRKYHTR

I agree that all birds are trophies. To a 10 year old a Jake is a trophy. That said if they are 20+ lbs, 10" beard and 1 1/4" spurs Thats a trophy where live.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck