turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is the 835 Getting a bum rap?

Started by Fastcat, April 24, 2011, 07:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastcat

I spent some range time with my new (to me) Mossberg 835 today.  It's an old turkey model with original realtree and a 24" non ported barrel.  I fired five turkey loads through this gun today. All of which were Winchester High Velocity 3.5 inchers.  In my experience these kick harder than anything else.  My gun has a factory recoil pad(rock).  The first thing I noticed was the recoil; while it was stout and noticeable it was not that bad.  I have owned both an 870 SPS-T and a Benelli Nova and I think the Mossberg was by far the nicest to shoot!  Maybe due to the overbored barrel and substantial build?  So maybe some of the articles about the fearsome kick of the harsh old mossy should be put in perspective?!  Just a thought?

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's about the truth.  Any gun you stuff a heavy 3.5" turkey load in the chamber and shoot is going to kick you.  A semi may tame the gases and the felt recoil that gets to the shooters shoulder better, but you are still going to get jarred.

OLE RASPY

I owned a 835 mossberg older one that had the old army camo and i always thought it didnt kick that bad at all now i didnt wont to take it on a dove shoot with 3.5 :lol: My barrel was ported but my buddy has one that isnt and i dont think it kicks that bad either.835 rocks i dont know why i got rid of mine but i now own a 935 i like it to.

bbcoach

Cat,
In my opinion and many more on this forum, you have one of the best shooting shotguns for turkeys there is.  The 835, with the overbored barrel, puts up some of the best numbers with the right load and choke.  It does come with a hellva kick but can be tamed with a Limbsaver Recoil Pad and a Beartooth Comb Raising Kit.  Check out the Pure Gold or Stardot choke and some Hevi-13 #7's and you'll have a BEST FRIEND for life.  Congratulations and Good Luck in the Turkey woods with your new FRIEND.

Fastcat

Yes I think the old 835 and I will get along just fine!  I put 25 rounds of AA though the old girl just shooting for fun and to get familiar with the new gun.  The pure gold I put on patterned well with Winchester HV 5's and 6's.  I am sure that it will exceed my expections with Hevi shot.  The only problem is that at 40 yards the pattern center is 8 inches the the right, but a set of fiber optic sights will remedy this problem.

WildSpur

I am shooting an 835 now and do not think recoil is bad at all.  I am now shooting 3.5 MagBlends and they do kick bad!   Otherwise, with 3" shells I really feel my Winchester 1300 kicks more.

Cluck more, yelp less

chatterbox

I just picked up an 835, added a limbsaver pad, and I'm in LOVE!
I wished I had bought one years ago! I didn't think the recoil was bad at all.

davisd9

I did not realize that it kicked.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mossy835

Had mine going on two years now and it is a solid fun gun to shoot. It puts out a consistent pattern that I am happy with. It is the UTl mag and I have added the limb saver recoil pad and a Mueller scope. We sighted it in this weekend with the new scope and I was impressed. You will get many years of use from your shotgun. Take a look in the scopes section.

bbcoach

Quote from: Fastcat on April 24, 2011, 08:26:29 PM
Yes I think the old 835 and I will get along just fine!  I put 25 rounds of AA though the old girl just shooting for fun and to get familiar with the new gun.  The pure gold I put on patterned well with Winchester HV 5's and 6's.  I am sure that it will exceed my expections with Hevi shot.  The only problem is that at 40 yards the pattern center is 8 inches the the right, but a set of fiber optic sights will remedy this problem.

Cat,
I had the same problem of POA not being the same as POI, so I added a Bushnell Red Dot to my 835.  Now where I put that little red dot, is where she impacts.  Here's a PIC of my setup with an Osceola from outside Naples, FL taken on March 8th. 

archery1

Quote from: chatterbox on April 25, 2011, 05:39:36 AM
I just picked up an 835, added a limbsaver pad, and I'm in LOVE!
I wished I had bought one years ago! I didn't think the recoil was bad at all.
Take a kid hunting

RustySap

I have been shooting mine since 1991 and have had no problems..