OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth Model 20 gauge recommendations?

Started by stringtown, July 07, 2018, 01:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringtown

Looking for a good youth model for my daughters to use. My wife has one but it's too long for them.

iloutdoorsman

We have had good luck with remington 11-87 compact sportsman in 20 ga. Stock is adjustable as they grow and being a semi auto it helps soak up some recoil too.

yelpy

Mossberg makes a mini 20 I believe.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

Remington 1100 if you can find one. 20" barrel really nice. Good luck

Hooksfan

Remington 870 pump. I mounted a red dot scope on mine.
Have kids shoot low brass shells to get adjusted and I have never had a kid even notice recoil at the shot. Make sure you have a good rest system. There have been some big advancements the past few years in that area.
A good blind is also critical for youth hunting.
Youth hunting has been a passion of mine and my goal every year is to get at least one kid a year their first bird.
I have gone through through a lot of trial and error over the years and I believe in setting up kids to succeed on their first bird.
After they get that one under their belt, then you can teach em how to hunt without a blind, etc.

Will

Youth 11-87 20 gauge. You can get a canteliever rifled barrel as well. Easy on the recoil. My oldest when he started hunting was recoil shy with a single shot 20 until I bought him this gun. He was 11 years old taking ducks and geese on the fly with that gun.

stringtown

Thanks for help guys. All good recs and will do some more searching. Agree on the blind and have learned to use one even with novice adults.

Gonna call a local gun guy and see what he can find me.

Fl strutter

I got a 1187 compact from cheaper than dirt.com shipped to a ffl holder for $470. Paid him $25 for the transfer so say $500.  Added a shurshot to mine and red dot and love it with tss handloads. A $25 rem superfull is smoking in it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZfKVw7RB6FzFcT4y6

land cruiser

Spitten and drummen

870 pump. Relable and great gun for the price. Wont break the bank and i know a whole bunch of men that tote them now and with tss shoot some of the best patterns you have ever seen.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Greg Massey

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on July 07, 2018, 06:44:40 PM
870 pump. Relable and great gun for the price. Wont break the bank and i know a whole bunch of men that tote them now and with tss shoot some of the best patterns you have ever seen.
x2... i just don't think a youth needs automatic with turkey loads...  Remington 870 pump with 21 inch barrel and you can thank us later... Sumtoy 562 or Trulock 565 choke ....

stringtown

Yeah, I've killed a bunch of birds w my 12 gauge .870. Just trying to find a youth 20 is tougher than I thought. 

yelpy

That is why I mentioned the mossturd. They aren't the best but they fit the bill. The safety  is in the right place for left or righty.
Quote from: stringtown on July 07, 2018, 08:29:46 PM

Yeah, I've killed a bunch of birds w my 12 gauge .870. Just trying to find a youth 20 is tougher than I thought.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Roost 1

Franchi Affinity 3 compact..  I kno where you can get a good deal on one too.

West Augusta

Quote from: stringtown on July 07, 2018, 08:29:46 PM

I ordered my youth 870 20ga from Budsgunshop.com
I carried it this spring.  Good gun.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.