turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 special purpose supuer mag

Started by Beards n bbq, June 20, 2018, 09:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beards n bbq

I am trying to figure out how old my turkey gun is. it is a 870 marked special purpose super magnum. shoots 3.5 loads, not sure of the camo pattern and i would say 23 inch barrel. not looking to sell but wondering what its value might be. i paid 325 for it 7 or 8 years ago.  also, barrel is ported. not sure if that was factory or added by last owner.  i mounted clamp on style rifle sights to the rib, thinking about adding a saddle mount and some type of optics for next spring.  always looking at new guns and trying to decide if i want to put money in my old friend or get something new

Turkeytider

Thumb hole, regular  or ShurShot stock ? What's the camo pattern?

Beards n bbq

not familiar with the camo pattern, i know its not realtree and no indication its mossy oak.  no thumbhole, i asume you would call it regular stock.  not sure what shurshot stock is

allaboutshooting

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Beards n bbq

thank you, looks like a 1994 model, older than i figured

Sir-diealot

Any way to do that with an 11-87? Thanks
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 21, 2018, 12:12:09 PM
Yes. It's the same process done by looking at the barrel and converting that information to month and year.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: allaboutshooting on June 21, 2018, 04:01:53 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 21, 2018, 12:12:09 PM
Yes. It's the same process done by looking at the barrel and converting that information to month and year.
Thanks,
Clark
Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

budtripp

Quote from: Beards n bbq on June 21, 2018, 12:08:02 PM
thank you, looks like a 1994 model, older than i figured

They didn't make a 3.5 inch 870 in 1994.

Beards n bbq

back to the drawing board, have to look at it again

jordanz7935

I think they started making supermags in 98  or 99. Id guess it to be made 99-02 due to the "Special Purpose" guns being phased out somewhere shortly after that. Barrel codes to look up month and year of manufacture have always been spot on in my experience. No remington turkey guns have ever came from the factory ported that i know of, so id say the previous owner probably had it ported after being beat up by the 3.5" mags. Keep it!!! Id buy a 90s-Early 2000's 870 over a new one any day! Putting a red dot or scope,and maybe a new stock on it will make it feel like a new gun. Beauty of an 870 is you can make them into basically anything you could want with all the aftermarket parts available.

ShootingABN!

Advantage camo? Post a picture of it. ;)

Beards n bbq

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can figure out the picture thing

captpete

I know this is an older thread, but was reading through it it got me to wondering when my 870 Special Purpose Magnum was made. The barrel stamp is "SP". I looked it up on the link that Clark provided. The month code doesn't show an "S" and if I just use the year code it have been made in 1995. I bought the gun new Sept. of 2001(have the original sale receipt and paper work). I actually ordered it to get the camo I wanted. Would this gun have been sitting in the warehouse for 6 years?

ShootingABN!

No way it sat around for six years. Then you ordered it in camo and you got it. Something is amiss.

Quote from: captpete on July 22, 2018, 11:46:35 AM
I know this is an older thread, but was reading through it it got me to wondering when my 870 Special Purpose Magnum was made. The barrel stamp is "SP". I looked it up on the link that Clark provided. The month code doesn't show an "S" and if I just use the year code it have been made in 1995. I bought the gun new Sept. of 2001(have the original sale receipt and paper work). I actually ordered it to get the camo I wanted. Would this gun have been sitting in the warehouse for 6 years?