OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Custom call advice

Started by gwa, April 23, 2011, 09:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwa

I run a Cody World Class Glass now, if you were to sell me one of your calls what would it be?

What's bloodwood?

What is the best wood going for strikers now?

Why are some strikers flared on the tip?

:)

gwa

I do not really care for slate if that helps.

I had I believe an "Aluminator" but I think I was missing the boat on it. Copper? is it similar?

gwa

Looks are a plus but not required, it has to be low maintenance, easy to run and sound like a turkey

Getting it narrowed down??

Cut*N*Run

Quote from: gwa on April 23, 2011, 10:18:21 PM
Looks are a plus but not required, it has to be low maintenance, easy to run and sound like a turkey

Getting it narrowed down??

Ceramic and anodized, blasted aluminum are probably the easiest to run and lowest maintenance surfaces. Ceramic is usually going to be a little softer and lower pitch than the aluminum. Copper is a tad more difficult for me to run (the clucks and purrs are tougher than on other surfaces  and occasionally the yelps squeak) but it has an awesome old raspy hen yelp and cutt to it.

Overall, I would say you might want to check into an aluminum call. It will play loud and soft and do everything you need to do. The blasted surface will feel more like slate and tons better to play than that Aluminator.

drenalinld

Aluminum or ceramic for low maintenance and ease of use. A good custom call will be a whole different experience than the aluminator.

NCBigShot

...Excellent and accurate summary, Cut*N*Run..... :icon_thumright:

When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

gwa

What about recommendations for a waterproof slate call?

NCBigShot

Quote from: gwa on April 24, 2011, 12:15:41 PM

...Denny-- I don't believe you'll find a slate call that's waterproof... But I understand putting Rainchalk on the tip of your striker will help a slate run while wet.

When the Dogwood is white, the time is right...

misfire

Quote from: gwa on April 24, 2011, 12:15:41 PM

No such animal that I am aware of. Slate is a pourous surface, thus it will absorb oils and water ( thats why you want to try to keep your bare hands off the slate). For wet weather  I recommend crystal, ceramic or aluminum with a waterproof striker

As for selling you a call that is low maintenence with ease of use, anodized aluminum or ceramic, just as Cut*N*Run stated.
If you ever figure out copper though, BY GOLLY, that stuff is amazing. The first few I made I was not impressed with and couldnt wait to ship them out the door. But the more I would run one, the better I liked that raspy ole sound that came out of it. Now, I made one that I refused to post pictures of ( to keep me away from the temptation to sell it :TooFunny:) and it is now my GO TO call
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Roost Wrecker

I like copper for a custom call but i have found in my calls that u may want to run a different striker on one copper than u would the other. I have made two and Osage is what i liked the sound of on one. The call i am hunting with i like to run a padauk striker on it. As far as the Aluminum goes i perfer a diamond wood striker but to each there own it would be up to u on what you think a turkey should sound like. The aluminum to me is easier to play than the copper because the copper surface is so soft and before i use it i hit it with a scotch brite pad. hope this may help u but i dont think there is such a thing as two many turkey calls.