OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Apple pot calls??

Started by Happy hooker, May 15, 2018, 08:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy hooker

Everybody just loves their Apple fiddle boxes,,mine sound fantastic different then any box I have. But I don't think I've seen a pot call offered in apple, wondering why, a Apple with a slate soundboard and glass might be the ultimate raspy pot.

letinmfly

I have one in slate over glass.  It was made by Al and Josh.  Great looking and sounding call. 
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

southern_leo

I've seen it just not often

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

JonD.

There is just not much apple wood out there to use. Unless an apple tree dies, or gets struck by lightning, or gets blown over by the wind, then it would only be cut down very reluctantly. A lot of it that does gets used for smoke pit BBQ. I'm betting that for box calls a lot of apple limbs get used, which would be too small for a pot call.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

M,Yingling

apple makes good call i have made a few ,, its a very hard wood to dry and not destroy its self in process   i have read even when kiln dried ,, i cut some blanks one time enough for bout 30 pots  buy time it was drying think got 5 use able blanks lol ,,, most fruit woods are hard to dry,, plum is anther great wood for calls but dries worst then apple
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

JonD.

I could see that. I remember in something I read, a guy made a selfbow from wild plum and was saying how bad it checked while it was drying. If I remember correctly he left the bark on it after the bow was finished to prevent further checking. Probably not a lot of these woods available to start with, and then hard to get anything usable when they are. Makes sense.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

Sir-diealot

I was just talking to somebody about making a call from Apple wood and from old wine barrels. I lived in a town called Appleton and would like to try to get some wood from the fields I used to pick drops in and I live in wine county now in the Finger Lakes Region of New York It did not sound too encouraging on the wine barrel side though. I was asking about a box call though by the way.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."