turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spent shells hanging up?

Started by Chilly, February 11, 2011, 03:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilly

I have a new mossberg 835 that I bought last year... When test patterning, I had a few shells get hung in the chamber...They were all Hevi-13 loads....  Lead loads did not hang....What would cause these to hang up?
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

Gobble!

GOLD HUNTER

I have had new guns to do that, it will freeup in time....... :icon_thumright:

mossy835

That is cold.
:TooFunny:
Check your chamber for dirt or build up. Mine has yet to do that Mossberg 835 also.

Skeeterbait

OK,  Do you mean it hunt up and would not come out of the chamber or it hung in the ejection port on the way out of the gun?

If you are talking about getting stuck in the ejection port, shuck it hard.  Don't play with it.  Some brands of shells the opened hull is a tad longer and will not quite clear the front of the ejection port if shucked easily.

If you are talking about sticking in the chamber and not wanting to come out, that is usually an overpressured shell or a grungy chamber.  H13 arent loaded all that hot so I would suggest scrubbing the heck out of that chamber with a good brass brush and solvent.  May still be sticky with cosmoline.  Mossberg is notorious for shipping guns with grungy bores.

VAHUNTER

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 11, 2011, 04:13:42 PM
OK,  Do you mean it hunt up and would not come out of the chamber or it hung in the ejection port on the way out of the gun?

If you are talking about getting stuck in the ejection port, shuck it hard.  Don't play with it.  Some brands of shells the opened hull is a tad longer and will not quite clear the front of the ejection port if shucked easily.

If you are talking about sticking in the chamber and not wanting to come out, that is usually an overpressured shell or a grungy chamber.  H13 arent loaded all that hot so I would suggest scrubbing the heck out of that chamber with a good brass brush and solvent.  May still be sticky with cosmoline.  Mossberg is notorious for shipping guns with grungy bores.
great advice  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Good things come to those who wait

tactikel

+1 on a thorough cleaning. My 835 had gunk from bolt face to choke. Do a "deep cleaning" -takes about 1 hour and you will be amazed at the crud you get out of your "clean" factory barrel.  Moss. are notorious for having sticky gunk in the chamber/barrel when new. If you do the cleaning you should consider polishing you barrel- for 2 more hours of work you could really improve your patterns. Good luck

joshua

If your using 3.5" loads you will have to shuck it hard.  I've had my 835 hang a shell because I was in a haste for a follow up shot and didn't shuck the spent shell hard enough.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

VAHUNTER

The first thing i do to any Rifle or Shotgun New or Used is give it a complete cleaning. your new guns are far from clean when you purchase them
Good things come to those who wait

pullit

Quote from: VAHUNTER on February 12, 2011, 08:15:13 AM
The first thing i do to any Rifle or Shotgun New or Used is give it a complete cleaning. your new guns are far from clean when you purchase them

That is very true. Most people would not believe the crap that is in a new gun.

paladin

Some gun shops clean the barrels before putting them on the shelves. Gun factories seem to be dirty dusty places.
I think barrels and chokes stand around unprotected until needed. I have seen thick oil/dust residue in some.
I have a 870 barrel that I almost wanted to complain about it was so dirty.
"have gun-will travel"

surehuntsalot

if you are talking about when you pump it to eject an empty shell,9 out of 10 times that is going to be the Hevi 13 hull
no 2 of them are the exact same length 
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Chilly

Thanks for the replies guys....  I had already polished and cleaned the chamber thinking it would help... It has only done it 3 times... It stuck so hard that the extractor cut a notch in the edge of the brass on the hull....  I had to dis-assemble the gun and run a rod down the barrel and push the hull out.....  I may need to call mossberg and let them know...Thanks again...
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

Skeeterbait

OK, check the chamber for any burrs or ridges that might "lock" the shell in the chamber if the brass expands.  I would be a little suspect of that lot of H13 now.

12 GAUGE

my wifes uncle got a new 835 about 2 years ago and it would not eject  3 1/2 in winchesters  so he sent it back to mossberg to be fixed they took care of the problem
ROLL TIDE