Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Would a lathe like this work for making pots?

Started by Sir-diealot, May 17, 2018, 06:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Would a lathe like this work for making pots? Grizzly wood lathe model G1067Z, industrial grade.

I know somebody that would loan me the money but I have no clue what I am doing and would be better off using it to get a new truck, it just looks so minimal to me I was wondering if it would work so I thought I would ask.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

southern_leo

Short answer is yes that should work. And honestly you don't need a large commercial grade lathe for pots.

Now the details. Most mini lathes and midi lathes work fine. Harbor freight makes a decent mini lathe I think is only $200 alot of people start with. Don't worry about it appearing minimal because frankly lathes are all minimal. Just a small motor with pulleys and stock on a frame. I'd be more concerned with ensuring the head stock and tail stock are aligned and making sure it's an MT2 and threaded to accept common chucks. If your having to borrow the money and also need a vehicle then your transportation is probably way more important. You also have to consider if you get into turning pots you have to buy chisels, a slow speed grinder, a drill press, sanding materials and equipment, finishes, surfaces, soundboards, wood etc. Even for a cheap set up your probably looking at a minimum of $600 to get started with lower end equipment. I promise once you start you'll find other tools you prefer to buy or another method you want to try that requires more tools. I'm nearing 2 years of call making and still find myself tweaking my methods and always trying to improve (which I believe all makers should strive to always continue to improve). So just keep that in mind. There are many expenses that come with call making. And we haven't even discussed the alcohol you consume to remain sane trying to perfect your methods lol. Good luck. PM me if I can help with anything.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Footballer

Quote from: southern_leo on May 18, 2018, 01:11:43 AM
Short answer is yes that should work. And honestly you don't need a large commercial grade lathe for pots.

Now the details. Most mini lathes and midi lathes work fine. Harbor freight makes a decent mini lathe I think is only $200 alot of people start with. Don't worry about it appearing minimal because frankly lathes are all minimal. Just a small motor with pulleys and stock on a frame. I'd be more concerned with ensuring the head stock and tail stock are aligned and making sure it's an MT2 and threaded to accept common chucks. If your having to borrow the money and also need a vehicle then your transportation is probably way more important. You also have to consider if you get into turning pots you have to buy chisels, a slow speed grinder, a drill press, sanding materials and equipment, finishes, surfaces, soundboards, wood etc. Even for a cheap set up your probably looking at a minimum of $600 to get started with lower end equipment. I promise once you start you'll find other tools you prefer to buy or another method you want to try that requires more tools. I'm nearing 2 years of call making and still find myself tweaking my methods and always trying to improve (which I believe all makers should strive to always continue to improve). So just keep that in mind. There are many expenses that come with call making. And we haven't even discussed the alcohol you consume to remain sane trying to perfect your methods lol. Good luck. PM me if I can help with anything.

Nailed it. I've found this to be a very rewarding but expensive hobby. If you need a loan to get the lathe, I would venture to say now is not the time to get started. Use it for the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Thank you both. One of the reasons I was so interested in it is she was only asking 250 for it and most lathes I have seen go for much much more than that. The guy I would have borrowed it does a lot of woodwork but nothing with lathes and he had mentioned wanting to get one for some things and my thought was we would end up splitting the cost in the long run. Most of his work is in carpentry but he likes other wood working things but he has 11 kids so can't do it all and I thought this would be an opportunity for both of us. She already sold it anyway.

I agree, truck is more important. So many dreams, so little money. lol

To be honest I had thought of doing it the old way with chisels and stuff but then the arthritis in my hands said forget that idea so I thought maybe a lathe.

It can hold for now. Thanks again.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

southern_leo

Although the idea of making a pot with a hammer and chisel is interesting I don't foresee getting a good sounding pot that way. Even if you get lucky and get your measurements right you won't have flat ledgers and the perfect 90 degree lip for gluing your surface and flat pedestal for your sound board. Not saying you couldn't make a pot that makes yelp sounds but quality sound is important.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: southern_leo on May 18, 2018, 12:00:40 PM
Although the idea of making a pot with a hammer and chisel is interesting I don't foresee getting a good sounding pot that way. Even if you get lucky and get your measurements right you won't have flat ledgers and the perfect 90 degree lip for gluing your surface and flat pedestal for your sound board. Not saying you couldn't make a pot that makes yelp sounds but quality sound is important.

I can see for sure how it would be quite difficult. I just like the thought of doing things the old way. Not sure my hands would let me anyway.

John Koenig: