OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pine Ridge Nebraska

Started by Halfski, May 13, 2018, 12:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfski

Just got back from the Black Hills of South Dakota and the Pine Ridge of Nebraska.   Huge difference in hunting pressure!   It seemed like there were hunters everywhere in Nebraska.   Even when I hiked into the remote areas I found other hunters.   Was pretty disappointed.  Beautiful area though.

On the other hand had a great time in South Dakota.  Lots of birds and much more room to roam.

Roost 1

Posts like this will change that... glad you had a good time.

deerhunt1988

You can thank social media and internet forums.

joey46

I have had maps and the itch to hunt NE for years.  Now feel I've missed the window.  Won't wait too long before locking in another western State.  These forums and all the TV guys have thrown a wrench into many public areas.  Just the way it is. 

Marc

Quote from: Roost 1 on May 13, 2018, 12:18:41 PM
Posts like this will change that... glad you had a good time.
The internet is great for the exchange of ideas and information, but just as in the bedroom, when it comes to offering information, it is very easy to engage in TMI...

The internet has virtually ruined a number of my own public hunting and fishing spots...  Public locations of success are something that I am admittedly selfishly quiet about.

To the OT, glad you had a good hunt and a good time!
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Gentry

Internet for sure has ruined a many a good places for sure. As well as turkey hunting being the new "cool" thing to do. As bad as i hate to say it, it will only get worse. We are our own worse enemy. Try to talk people into fishing instead of turkey hunting.

Improvinghunter101

Quote from: Halfski on May 13, 2018, 12:15:43 PM
Just got back from the Black Hills of South Dakota and the Pine Ridge of Nebraska.   Huge difference in hunting pressure!   It seemed like there were hunters everywhere in Nebraska.   Even when I hiked into the remote areas I found other hunters.   Was pretty disappointed.  Beautiful area though.

On the other hand had a great time in South Dakota.  Lots of birds and much more room to roam.

Just got back from Pine Ridge as well. Never even got the chance to look down the barrel at a bird.  I also hiked in to remote areas.  Even as far away as I was, I would still find boot prints.  At first I thought the lack of gobbling was just part of the breeding cycle they were in. Then I spoke with a biologist out there that said the birds receive so much pressure they don't even gobble on the roost or to calling.  Went through some amazing looking ground listening one morning and never heard a gobble. I walked several miles a day in rugged country and never had a bird answer me. Not sure how people hunt them out there besides glassing and getting in front.  Beautiful country, but I would've preferred to hear something gobble back at me and come to the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMalin

I hunted the pine ridge for a day and a half before moving south.  Just wasn't feeling it up there and it appears as though I made the right decision based on what I'm reading here.

High plains drifter

It isn't a good idea to talk about specific places.

joey46

Quote from: High plains drifter on May 13, 2018, 10:04:21 PM
It isn't a good idea to talk about specific places.

It is coming to that.  Down here in Florida if someone mentions a specific WMA on a public forum he gets hammered.  Maybe necessary since guys from 49 other states seem to not be satisfied without at least one Osceola on their beard board.   The non-quota FL WMAs are truly overrun at times.  It has even spilled over to where a FL guy went up and hunted a million plus NF in another state.  He mentioned the NF on a forum - got hammered :z-dizzy:.  Too bad it is coming to this.  Won't get better I'm afraid.

Gooserbat

Certain things you never tell your friends, in-laws, baby brother, or post on line.  Where you hang your treestand, catch crappie, roosted a turkey, or pick mushrooms. 

It will save headaches and anger issues later.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

renegade19

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 14, 2018, 06:27:15 AM
Certain things you never tell your friends, in-laws, baby brother, or post on line.  Where you hang your treestand, catch crappie, roosted a turkey, or pick mushrooms. 

It will save headaches and anger issues later.
I agree but around here you don't have to mention crappie, they just watch with binos and show up mysteriously the next day.  Unreal!

bghunter777

Quote from: Halfski on May 13, 2018, 12:15:43 PM

Hunted SD hard never heard or saw a turkey 40 to 1 or in my case 0 hunter to turkey ratio hunting is not good in SD or NE I wouldn't drive 30 min to hunt there now if you want non stop turkey action head to Louisiana!!!!

RussM311

LOL   not sure if we are going to engage in head fakes and misinformation.... but I can guarantee that Louisiana is not the land of milk and honey for gobbling toms.  I heard Arkansas was being overrun with gobbling toms.

drenalinld

Fact. Tons and tons of gobbling birds in Arkansas.  200,000 hunters kills less than 8,000 birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk