turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

predators

Started by saverx, April 19, 2018, 10:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saverx

Anyone here trapping predators/varmints as part of a turkey management program?

Goodtimekiller

Definitely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelmo1

One of the conditions of my biggest farm is to kill as many coyotes as possible. I try to thin them out 10-15 times a year plus targets of opportunity  :OGturkeyhead:

turkaholic

Several opossums on my belt this spring already
live to hunt hunt to live

Spitten and drummen

I trap raccoons , possums and skunks. Also the guy I share the lease with takes care of the yotes , fox and bobcat. This is the first year we started this so can't comment if it's going to be productive.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Rzrbac

Short answer-no.  I trap on my own farm to help out the small deer herd. There are turkeys just to the north and east of me. I'm sure that helps the turkeys too. I have seen some cat sign on the public I hunt this year. If it was closer to my house I would consider setting a small line or two. I do enjoy trapping coyotes and cats and I may add some coon traps for next winter. I generally catch a few skunks in my sets every winter along with a coon or two.

I should add I don't do it for the fur, I give my catches away. I do it just to remove predators.

Sir-diealot

I am actually studying for my fur-trappers license now. My landlords kids let me hunt their land and I want to give back to them in some way and they have a lot of coyote out there. I also intend on giving them some kind of seed to plant or just handing them the money to use for what they will on the land. When I was unable to hunt the one son would give me a bit of venison ever year so we all have a very good relationship. I have lived above their father and mother and now their mother since 91 Their father was a great man.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dublelung

Absolutely! I hammer the coyotes, cats, foxes, coons, possums, skunks, ferals, etc. I don't discriminate when it comes to predators/furbearers and wear them out. You won't see an immediate benefit but after a couple years you'll definitely notice. 

maddog3355

I have a scorched earth policy on nest predators and fawn killers BUT I go into knowing that I'm only making a very small dent in my local population. It would take a lot of time and determination from every land owner to thin them as much as it is needed on a yearly basis.

saverx

Any advice on trap brand/size for getting started? Coyotes are taking over my land and making the turkeys skittish as hell. Saw several this morning. I am wanting to go hard core on them this year as well as coons. Poor turkeys don't stand a chance. Any advice from experts would be great. I have been researching trapping on Utube.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: saverx on April 20, 2018, 07:32:19 PM
Any advice on trap brand/size for getting started? Coyotes are taking over my land and making the turkeys skittish as hell. Saw several this morning. I am wanting to go hard core on them this year as well as coons. Poor turkeys don't stand a chance. Any advice from experts would be great. I have been researching trapping on Utube.
Knowing your state and habitat would really help on giving advise.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

coyote1

I use montana #3 traps, the dog less design stays in tune better than dog-on traps. Bridger #2 or #3 are good traps too if you want a dog-on trap. Make sure to use good trap chain and 3 swivels per trap. Most important things for coyotes is be on location with your traps, bed them rock solid and use a good backing at the set so they can't work it from the back side where there is no trap. Ideally you want 2-3 pounds of pan tension and a level pan also. Coyotes are pretty smart and will humble you. Snares are a good tool also if you can use them.

For coons i like a #11 long spring trap or a dog proof. They are much easier to trap than coyotes. There is a lot more to trapping but thought this little bit of information would help. I'm no expert but have trapped for a while, feel free to pm me if you have more questions.

dublelung

I'm no expert but any size 2 and above trap will work for fox, coyote, and cats. Bridger 1.65 is a good and economical trap that'll also work well. Just check your state laws regarding size restrictions and seasons. I prefer MB 550 and MB 450 traps.
You can click on the youtube link under my coyote avatar and it'll take you to my page which has a couple videos on how to make basic sets. Hoosier Trapper, Predator Control Group, and Management Advantage all have very informative youtube pages that will shorten the learning curve. Feel free to pm me with any questions, I'll help if i can.

Rzrbac

Quote from: dublelung on April 21, 2018, 12:31:37 AM

I'm no expert but any size 2 and above trap will work for fox, coyote, and cats. Bridger 1.65 is a good and economical trap that'll also work well. Just check your state laws regarding size restrictions and seasons. I prefer MB 550 and MB 450 traps.
You can click on the youtube link under my coyote avatar and it'll take you to my page which has a couple videos on how to make basic sets. Hoosier Trapper, Predator Control Group, and Management Advantage all have very informative youtube pages that will shorten the learning curve. Feel free to pm me with any questions, I'll help if i can.

I'm no expert either. I'm fond of the MB 550s and have a few #3 Sleepy Creeks. I like to anchor mine with earth anchors on a chain. I'm trapping soft ground and they  hold well but are easy enough to dig out after season. Generally use a feed sack to kneel on when making a set so I don't leave a lot of scent.  I just use dirt hole sets but tried a post set last year and caught a cat. I've used a few cubby sets with a little rabbit fur, squirrel tail or bird wing. Those sets tend to catch more trash like skunks and opossums though.

Marc

Quote from: zelmo1 on April 20, 2018, 05:49:30 AM
One of the conditions of my biggest farm is to kill as many coyotes as possible. I try to thin them out 10-15 times a year plus targets of opportunity  :OGturkeyhead:
I have read some studies that show that killing coyotes might not be as beneficial as we think...

Coyotes eat some turkeys (I have called them in enough turkey hunting to know this is true)...  But coyotes primarily eat small mammals, including egg eaters such as raccoons, opossums. and to a small degree even skunks which are far more harmful to turkey and upland populations, as well as bobcats which target turkeys and upland game more so than yotes.

Plus the critters that coyotes eat (such as squirrels and rabbits) compete for the same food as do upland game (including turkeys).

Granted the studies were done on a small scale, and were directed towards upland game (not including turkeys)...  But in the studies done, the areas with aggressive coyote control suffered a decline in the upland population as compared to the areas that were not controlled for coyotes...

So while I would not claim that coyote control is not beneficial, I would also be hesitant to claim that it is...  Especially if you live in an area that has high populations of racoons or opossums...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.