OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Timber or Ag field?

Started by RKeeper1, April 19, 2018, 08:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKeeper1

Would you set up in a block of timber turkeys are in or on the edge with decoys in the field butting up to the block of timber?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mullet dredge

I would choose to hunt the woods if the turkeys would cooperate. I have found Ag field eastern turkeys have got to be one of the most aggravating critters in the world to figure out....

Happy

My personal taste would lean towards the timber turkeys. However if I have to hunt them in a field then field it would be. I personally wouldn't use decoys in either situation.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

daddyduke

Timber. Set up on path they're using to enter field. Once they're in the field they tend to get squirrelly some times.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

g8rvet

If I have a choice?  Timber.  Field turkeys will lead a man to drink (more).  But sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. 

EDIT:  Unless it is raining or threatening or just done raining.  Then I look for fields. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

1iagobblergetter

I hunt Timber with small fields a lot with decoys. Some of the area I hunt you can get by with hunting in the timber early in the spring,but it's hard to see anything when it greens up so more than not its fields and decoys for me.Try one way and if that doesn't work don't be afraid to try the other.

RailRoader

Quote from: mullet dredge on April 19, 2018, 08:56:24 AM
I would choose to hunt the woods if the turkeys would cooperate. I have found Ag field eastern turkeys have got to be one of the most aggravating critters in the world to figure out....

You can say that again! Bout all you can do with them is sit and wait.

bghunter777

Get where the birds want to go and call soft once he comes down

SD_smith

imo timber makes it easier to move around w/o being seen, but you can't see either. They both have their pros and cons. In my experience its easier to call a bird w/o decoys in the timber. Field turkeys will make you feel dumb and useless from time to time.