turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HW Fed #7 - what is a good alternative?

Started by jeshoffstall, March 09, 2018, 07:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeshoffstall

Seems the 870 compact with Carlson choke with HW Fed #7 is a popular combo.  Since HWs are no longer availabe, recommendations for the Carlson .575 in the 870?

Thanks!

Phire Phite

I agree.  Seems like most of the people going to the 20 ga almost did it because of those shells, now we don't have them and tss is unavailable.

Someone has to have a good combo that doesn't involve one of those.

nyhunter

my choice for an alternative shell is , H-13 #6 or #7's, then Win. LB #6's

FL-Boss

Hevi-13  #7's... in all my 20ga guns shoot pretty much the same as Fed #7. I tend to favor the Fed slightly as it's a little heaver shot.  Your current choke is perfect too... no need to re tinker. Just shoot once to check POI - which should also stay the exact same.

tnanh

My youth 870 shoots its best with the Carlson 575 and heavy 13 6s. For some reason it shoots heavy 13 6s better than heavy 13 7s or Federal heavyweight 7s. It consistently shoots 120-130 with heavy 13 6s. Not jaw dropping but sufficient.

sasquatch1

In a 20 I like magblends. They shot good out my 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saverx

I just shot Longbeard 6's out of my compact with a 575 today.
It shot 130 to 140 which is what HW7's do in that gun as well. I have a large stash of HW7's but would shoot the Longbeards without hesitation. I was impressed. I did learn that in my gun the Longbeards definitely like a dirty barrel. Pattern dropped to 110  after I cleaned with denatured alcohol. I shot some bird shot through it, repattered the Longbeard and it went back to 140. POA is also the same between the two for me.

WyoHunter

Quote from: FL-Boss on March 10, 2018, 12:02:36 PM
Hevi-13  #7's... in all my 20ga guns shoot pretty much the same as Fed #7. I tend to favor the Fed slightly as it's a little heaver shot.  Your current choke is perfect too... no need to re tinker. Just shoot once to check POI - which should also stay the exact same.

My results are like yours. Can't go wrong with either one.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

savduck

I have a stockpile of fed 7s, however my 870 with a truglo ssx 555 patterns hevi 13 7s in the 160s to 170s. Its a great load as an alternative
Georgia Boy

POSSUM BEND

Mine shoots Mag Blends adequately with a Carlson .575 or Jellyhead.  110-115 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yds.  I wouldn't hesitate if I ran out of HW#7.    That being said, when I do run out of HW#7 in about 5 seasons, I will probably go to TSS. 

turkeyinstrut

howl

Winchester lead #5s with cheap Gobble Stopper choke is usually good to 40 out of that gun.

chatterbox

Able Ammo has the Hevi-13 3-1.25-7's in stock for 20.00 a box.