OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NEW SHOOTER FOLLOWED ME HOME (picture added)

Started by pullit, April 20, 2011, 10:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullit

Quote from: bbcoach on April 28, 2011, 08:47:54 PM
The HOLY GRAIL choke for the overbored 835 and 935 are the .670 Pure Gold or the .676 Stardot,  if you can find one.  Couple these chokes with the Hevi-13 3 1/2" #7's and you have a gun that will kill Turkeys well past where you feel comfortable shooting.   

Congratulations on your 935 purchase.  You will Fall in Love and develop a Lifetime of Memories, with her.

Well that is what I have heard but I got a PG 670 in today and I will admit I only had time to shoot 1 shot out of it but my numbers were WAY off. I have a polished barrel, was shooting the PG 670, Factory Hevi 3.5- 2.25 oz of #7 (lot #300525) at a measured 40 yards. I got 191 hits in a 10 inch circle. To say I am confused would be an understatement.

bbcoach

Pullit,
With that Lot # you should be in the mid to high 200's.

The first thing to check is POA / POI.  I see you have the original Mossy sights on the 935.  Have you shot the gun at 10 yards, with some cheap dove loads, to see if you are centered?  My 835 shot low and right so I opted for a Red Dot for her but you may get by with a set of adjustable after market sights like Williams or TruGlo, if you have an issue.

pullit

Quote from: bbcoach on April 29, 2011, 07:37:16 AM
Pullit,
With that Lot # you should be in the mid to high 200's.

The first thing to check is POA / POI.  I see you have the original Mossy sights on the 935.  Have you shot the gun at 10 yards, with some cheap dove loads, to see if you are centered?  My 835 shot low and right so I opted for a Red Dot for her but you may get by with a set of adjustable after market sights like Williams or TruGlo, if you have an issue.

The POI is a little high (but centered) from the POA but still well on the 42x30 sheet of paper. With two other chokes I am getting mid 250 range hits (with the same POI as I did with the PG).

bbcoach

Pullit,
I'm at a loss on this one.  The Hevi #7's have been putting up great numbers out of the Pure Gold's.  I have PM'ed, ILIKEHEVI-13, and ask him for his input.  He has done extensive testing on the #7's and should have more advice for you.  With a deep cleaned barrel, 670 Pure Gold choke and the 935 you definitely should be getting more than 190's.  I'll keep monitoring this post to see what develops.  I want to see what develops so I can learn some more.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: bbcoach on April 29, 2011, 03:34:22 PM
Pullit,
I'm at a loss on this one.  The Hevi #7's have been putting up great numbers out of the Pure Gold's.  I have PM'ed, ILIKEHEVI-13, and ask him for his input.  He has done extensive testing on the #7's and should have more advice for you.  With a deep cleaned barrel, 670 Pure Gold choke and the 935 you definitely should be getting more than 190's.  I'll keep monitoring this post to see what develops.  I want to see what develops so I can learn some more.

I'm the one that told John to try a Pure Gold .670 in his 835 since it worked so well for my 28" barrel 835.  I am at a loss for words.  I guess I don't understand how these barrels can do so well with a particular choke in a lot of barrels from a certain brand, and then low and behold you find a gun with a with the same barrel and that choke doesn't shoot like it does in the other barrels that did really well with that same choke.  I don't know if barrel length plays a role in it or not.  I always thought that it didn't having owned a few 870's with a 21" and 28" barrels.  What one liked the other seemed to as well.  The longer barrel did shoot the better patterns, but that was to be expected.  I know Clark always said that the shorter barrels seem to like the tighter chokes, but what is odd is that John is getting pretty decent numbers with the same exit diameter choke in the TruGlo SSX.

I guess you are going to have to play around and find one choke that seems to stand out against the others.  I would think you should be getting around 300 shot in a 10" with the right choke.  

Maybe try repolishing your barrel like I told you the other nite on the phone with the Mothers chrome/wheel polish.  That may help.  

pullit

I am going back to the range and do a little more testing. I was only able to shoot one shell that day out of each choke when I shot 191. It could very well be a fluke.