OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Largest Shot in a Jellyhead???

Started by ul ess, April 20, 2011, 08:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ul ess

Today I had a coyote watch me set out two dekes from about 300yds away. Once I did a couple yelps it ran straight to the decoys along with another one who appeared out of nowhere. They both stopped  25yds from me and inspected the setup for about a minute, then they caught scent and bolted. I wanted to pull the trigger but didn't think Hevi #7 was going to get anywhere near a clean kill.

Since I had plenty of time to chamber a different shell my question is thus: What is the largest shot you can shoot out of a .665 Jellyhead from a 23" 870 barrel? I'd like to use hevi coyote, but lead would be ok in a bigger size. The Primos site says its great for Hevi 4,5,6 or lead. The only thing it says not to use is steel

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: ul ess on April 20, 2011, 08:38:03 PM
Today I had a coyote watch me set out two dekes from about 300yds away. Once I did a couple yelps it ran straight to the decoys along with another one who appeared out of nowhere. They both stopped  25yds from me and inspected the setup for about a minute, then they caught scent and bolted. I wanted to pull the trigger but didn't think Hevi #7 was going to get anywhere near a clean kill.

Since I had plenty of time to chamber a different shell my question is thus: What is the largest shot you can shoot out of a .665 Jellyhead from a 23" 870 barrel? I'd like to use hevi coyote, but lead would be ok in a bigger size. The Primos site says its great for Hevi 4,5,6 or lead. The only thing it says not to use is steel

You might want to check your states game laws about the largest size shot you can shoot during turkey season.  Several states won't allow you to shoot shot any larger than #4's. 

ul ess

We can go up to #2, but there isn't an law against having other shells on your person for varmits

surehuntsalot

at 25yds you doubted the killing power of a #7 HTL pellet
at 25yds a lowly #6 lead pellet would have killed those yotes dead as dead can be
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gobble!

The largest legal shot size i have seen is #2s

TrophyTracker

I have a hardheaded friend who used his JH and 3.5in BB's for ducks here in FLORIDA(Yikes) this past year. He fired a couple boxes and had to use an allenwrench through the ports to get the tube out, but it at least still came out.  :-\
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

n2deer

I shot a coyote last year at about 30 with nitros and he didnt move. Just hit the groud and that was it.

I wouldn't doubt the power behind turkey loads and short ranges.

jtg88

Next time just shoot that coyote behind the shoulder and those HS #7s will make his lungs look like a pasta strainer.  As far as your question, I've shot a few lead #4s when patterning through my .655 jellyhead with no problems.

S.C.C

This may not be the best advice,But when I see a coyote Its gettin at least one pellet in him/her with whatever is in the chamber at the time!! :z-guntootsmiley:

tiggere

agreed...and if legal at the time any raccoon, possum, or fox is gonna get the exact same treatment...they are doing a number on our nesting birds around here...

BigPeck215

in Michigan you cant carry any shells larger than 4's with you during turkey season

dpittman

I have shot quite a few rounds of large HTL thru a PG670 with no illl effects. DC-T,WM HD BB,HS Goose B, #4 Buck. All these rounds are high velocity also (up to 1400). The PG670 also patterns these loads very well. Check predator masters forum for more info.

TauntoHawk

most the coyotes me and my dad have shot have been during turkey season with our turkey loads.. most drop immediately

last year my brother in law shot one with  1-7/8oz lead #6 and it didnt move an inch so Id say 2 or 2.25oz hevi #7's will smoke em
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hay Flats

That's why it never hurts to use a shell like Magnum Blend if you have a Bear, Mountian Lion or Coyote in front of you, you will have a chance! You are out in the wild after all and anything can happen with out notice, I had one friend jumped on while calling by a Coyote and another stalked and attacked by two Coyotes at sundown walking back to his car, he was able to kill one and shoot the other but it was pure luck he wasn't a statistic.
High Numbers at the patterning board are one thing but I will take 175 Hevi #5's in ten any day over 300 #7's when I step into the woods!

Kurt

ul ess

I got an email today from primos stating that hevi- dead coyote can be shot through a jelly head no problem. I might have to carry a couple with me whenever i venture out...