OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strikin up birds

Started by ArkyRidgeRunna, April 03, 2018, 07:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howl

Thirty years ago someone might have said cackle. Twenty years ago I would have said cutting, but that does not work anywhere near as well as it used to work. Now you have to be right on top of them. It used to be that if I cutt and got a gobble close it was a scramble to set up before it got to me. Now, I'll have to move around several times before they show up. This is not evolution. This is hunting pressure and techniques training turkeys.

I think the popularity of walking and calling has conditioned birds, starting as jakes, to take a wait and see. They'll get up on the ridge ahead of you and stand and look. There are a lot of sounds in the woods that are similar to turkey sounds. And some of them are people who cannot accurately reproduce turkey sounds like cutting. If gobblers ran to everything that sounded somewhat like a hen, they'd die of exhaustion.

And there are a limited number of places in the woods you are likely to get a wary bird to come look. This situation makes moving from good spot to good spot and staying a bit more effective. It might take an hour and a half for a wary bird to mosey on over. If you'll go back later in a day to check places you set up and expected a bird, you might see his track where he checked you out after you left.

Goodtimekiller

Just sit on the edge of a field, when a longbeard comes out stick up your fan and kill him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dublelung

I tend to have the best luck striking one up mid day or in the evening by cutting real loud and raspy.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: howl on April 04, 2018, 09:27:29 AM
Thirty years ago someone might have said cackle. Twenty years ago I would have said cutting, but that does not work anywhere near as well as it used to work. Now you have to be right on top of them. It used to be that if I cutt and got a gobble close it was a scramble to set up before it got to me. Now, I'll have to move around several times before they show up. This is not evolution. This is hunting pressure and techniques training turkeys.

I think the popularity of walking and calling has conditioned birds, starting as jakes, to take a wait and see. They'll get up on the ridge ahead of you and stand and look. There are a lot of sounds in the woods that are similar to turkey sounds. And some of them are people who cannot accurately reproduce turkey sounds like cutting. If gobblers ran to everything that sounded somewhat like a hen, they'd die of exhaustion.

And there are a limited number of places in the woods you are likely to get a wary bird to come look. This situation makes moving from good spot to good spot and staying a bit more effective. It might take an hour and a half for a wary bird to mosey on over. If you'll go back later in a day to check places you set up and expected a bird, you might see his track where he checked you out after you left.
Exactly the 1980's are over act accordingly lol
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?