OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strikin up birds

Started by ArkyRidgeRunna, April 03, 2018, 07:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkyRidgeRunna

Lets talk strikin up birds. Where I hunt its tough to get a response when blind calling. Anyone have any tips or do a certain thing that helps to get a response when blind calling? not talking about locator calls

Ozarks Hillbilly

Quote from: ArkyRidgeRunna on April 03, 2018, 07:43:51 PM
Lets talk strikin up birds. Where I hunt its fair to get a response when blind calling. Anyone have any tips or do a certain thing that helps to get a response when blind calling? not talking about locator calls
Excited yelps and cutting either on a good box or a glass pot call seems to work for me.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rzrbac

Generally soft yelps to make sure nothing is real close and then hammer some hard cutts.

Meatseeker

When I'm trying to strike a bird I rely on a loud high pitch aluminum pot call.  I start with a long series of yelps,  wait a few minutes and then do some aggressive cuts.  I have a lot of success striking distant birds like this.

3bailey3

I love to listen to a truck rolling down a gravel road, the best public land locating call ever!

Happy

In my experience most people are moving to fast and calling to much to strike as many birds as they could. I used to do haul butt and call like a madman but have since learned to slow it down. You would be amazed how many birds will sound off. Think about it. Why blow through an area that you know holds birds, bugger in and shutting them up in the hopes that eventually you will strike a lonely one that you haven't spooked? I have found that if I slipped along slowly and quietly in areas I knew held birds and kept my senses about me I could find birds and given a little time I could get in the game. It's amazing how many birds we hunters spook without even knowing it. Nowadays I only move fast when needed. Usually thats when I am getting into position or moving through an area that isn't productive to one that is.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

This really depends on the conditions under which I am hunting.  Small property,....more sitting or slow moving and more soft calling with occasional loud cut/yelp series.  Large property,...more moving and more aggressive calling compared to soft calling.

I have consistently found that birds are more likely to respond from a distance to loud cutting/yelping sequences than any other type of calling.  However, there are times when that is just not the most practical way to approach hunting a particular property,...especially small ones.

Gooserbat

I like to stop and keep quiet for a few minutes and then make a call.  No talking, coughing, or such.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Scott Hock

Quote from: Rzrbac on April 03, 2018, 07:49:22 PM
Generally soft yelps to make sure nothing is real close and then hammer some hard cutts.
Same here. I'll hammer some hard raspy cutts after the soft yelps. Great for a shock gobble or two, but many times i've had the bird run to me begging to be killed.

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: Happy on April 03, 2018, 09:40:52 PM
In my experience most people are moving to fast and calling to much to strike as many birds as they could. I used to do haul butt and call like a madman but have since learned to slow it down. You would be amazed how many birds will sound off. Think about it. Why blow through an area that you know holds birds, bugger in and shutting them up in the hopes that eventually you will strike a lonely one that you haven't spooked? I have found that if I slipped along slowly and quietly in areas I knew held birds and kept my senses about me I could find birds and given a little time I could get in the game. It's amazing how many birds we hunters spook without even knowing it. Nowadays I only move fast when needed. Usually thats when I am getting into position or moving through an area that isn't productive to one that is.

This is great info, once i started slowing way down and hunting all the way back to the truck, not just walking back, i not only started seeing and shooting more turkeys but got to see lots of turkey behavior and other wildlife that i hadn't before. I think another thing is, when you hint back to the truck, there will be birds that were silent but headed towards your calling that you may see but would have never known about. Now, when i hunt with other people it can be hard because they want to go too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Happy on April 03, 2018, 09:40:52 PM

This is where I'm at!

We call it "Walking & Talking" (Turkey Talk that is) Just a general slow walk mix up my calling a bit, I like to go out on ridges to end of points and call and when working a field stay in the timber and circle the field. I take some breaks while doing this and have had birds fire up as I went quiet too.

MK M GOBL

zelmo1

Getting older has its perks, I move slow and call soft. Every few stops I let loose and cut loudly. This works for us, but every situation is different. Weather, terrain and pressure effect them too. I am glad my hunting partner Joe has a turkey brain  :funnyturkey:

Tomcat655

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 03, 2018, 10:32:05 PM
I like to stop and keep quiet for a few minutes and then make a call.  No talking, coughing, or such.

It gets under my skin when you bring that friend that asked to go and its early and hes ready to talk and lets out one of those "not even trying to muffle his cough, coughs"...really dude

GobbleNut

Really, when it comes right down to it, the key in knowing how to hunt a particular place is having as much information about that place as you can beforehand.  The fact is that hunting a small tract of land in the eastern states that has a high turkey density calls for different hunting tactics than hunting a several-hundred-thousand-acre National Forest in the west where there might be one turkey flock every five miles. 

Using the "move slowly and call" tactic in some of the country I hunt our here in the west is a sure-fire way to spend all day never getting within earshot of a turkey gobbler.  It is absolutely essential to find a bird that will let you know he is there before you begin actually "hunting" that bird. 

Conversely, I have also hunted places where that tactic was, at best, a waste of time,...and, at worst, counterproductive.  Success in turkey hunting is often a matter of recognizing the situation you face in any particular location, and then adapting your hunting strategy to fit those circumstances. 

boone5252

I make sure my locator calls--whether it is sharp hen cutts or a crow or owl calls--- are short because a distant gobbler can holler and you can't hear him because your long yelps--that are coming into your ears--- are covering up his gobble.