OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question about adding pictures Glass or Crystal

Started by Sir-diealot, March 28, 2018, 10:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I went to a venison dinner at a local church here over this past weekend and wound up talking with the DEC officer that does the youth hunts in my county and a few others. I got to thinking that next year I would like to donate a pot call to whomever win gets the biggest bird (I would figure out if they use any scoring system as things progress and if not we would set something up using spur length, beard length and weight) and have pictures taken of each member and their bird and then send picture to call maker of winner (One here if there are no local call makers here can do it and I don't know of any here in NY) but what I would want to know is what resolution should picture be, how much would it cost to do it with glass or crystal, how big can picture be? (I am guessing getting a 3 and a 1/2 inch to 4 inch pot) and would it be possible to write something to the effect of "2019 Yates County Spring Youth Hunt" then the size of bird with above mentioned statistics and hunters name or is that asking for to much info on the back? If not that then the "2019 Yates County Spring Youth Hunt Winner" and hunters name? Also for those that have done it what would turnaround time normally be? Thanks for reading and for any answers given in advance.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

SteelerFan

I can't advise on pic size, but I think it's a great gesture. I'm guessing any photo editing with text could be incorporated for the final picture in the pot. A lot of talented call makers have shown similar work here on OG before.

My only input would be to change the "contest" portion. Instead of "biggest bird"... how about every youth hunter will be entered into a drawing for a custom pot? One winner... but every youth hunter would be eligible? Just a thought...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: SteelerFan on March 29, 2018, 12:12:00 AM
I can't advise on pic size, but I think it's a great gesture. I'm guessing any photo editing with text could be incorporated for the final picture in the pot. A lot of talented call makers have shown similar work here on OG before.

My only input would be to change the "contest" portion. Instead of "biggest bird"... how about every youth hunter will be entered into a drawing for a custom pot? One winner... but every youth hunter would be eligible? Just a thought...
I was thinking of the text written or carved into back of the call or maybe carved or written around outside diameter of the call which is why I was thinking of 3 and a half to 4 inch call to allow the room. It is a thought about perhaps a general giveaway. I want to find out if anything is already done along these lines anyway.

I just love kids but never had any of my own, used to take a few of my friends kids out now and again scouting or hunting and can't tell you how many peoples kids I have taken to hunters safety classes for everything from gun, bow and trapping. I will be taking a trapping course myself this year so I am sure I will end up taking some kids to that as well.

I was not able to hunt for 17 years due to a car wreck but have jumped back into it hardcore the last 3 years after new meds made it so I could hunt again (Could not turkey hunt last year due to shoulder surgery though) and I just want to get back to doing things with kids even if it is just being able to give them something to make them remember the day.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Can any of you call makers comment on this? I will not hold you to gospel but I would like to try to find a ball park figure. Also is what I am asking to have printed on it to much?

John Koenig:

MickT

If it's supposed to be a functional call I wouldn't ask the call maker to alter pot dimensions. Just get everything on the sticker. Like others have said, I'd do it as a drawing. That would shorten the turn around as the call could be ready ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owego

I do over a 100 of them each yr. E-mail the picture to me & I will do the rest. You will have the call in 5 to 7 days. Go to this link & pick the pot you want. I live in PA  1/2 mile off the NY line.       http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/turkey-calls/custom-personal-turkey-call/

Sir-diealot

Quote from: MickT on March 29, 2018, 06:35:12 PM
If it's supposed to be a functional call I wouldn't ask the call maker to alter pot dimensions. Just get everything on the sticker. Like others have said, I'd do it as a drawing. That would shorten the turn around as the call could be ready ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply MickT, I was not asking about altering dimensions at all, I have seen many three and half inch pots here and have also seen 4 inch here and have seen call makers like the one that commented below you add photographs to them. (I have not seen he himself do one but I know that Woodheaven also does them) the text was also a question on if it could be done and what the cost would be roughly by adding that. If I could afford it I could get a box call to do a drawn giveaway, I have a year to gather the funds so I am sure I could by then but I would still like to do my idea as well. Another idea would be to donate a subscription to Jakes for a youngster as well but I have to be careful how far out I extend myself as I am on disability and don't have a huge income and that is why I am trying to do this for next year.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: owego on March 29, 2018, 07:36:54 PM
I do over a 100 of them each yr. E-mail the picture to me & I will do the rest. You will have the call in 5 to 7 days. Go to this link & pick the pot you want. I live in PA  1/2 mile off the NY line.       http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/turkey-calls/custom-personal-turkey-call/
Thanks Owego you are actually only and hr. and a half from me. I have relatives in Forest City and Carbondale which is not to far from you and know people in New Milford which is just half and hour past you.
If I were to select wood would you be able to do text like I mention above on the back side or on the outside diameter? I am looking to do this in Spring of next year.

John Koenig:

owego

Sir, you have lay that out. I do not do anything like that. I only put in the call what it is like when I get. sorry but had trouble in the past with that. thanks al

Sir-diealot

Quote from: owego on March 29, 2018, 09:01:51 PM
Sir, you have lay that out. I do not do anything like that. I only put in the call what it is like when I get. sorry but had trouble in the past with that. thanks al
Okay thank you very much for the reply. Could it be painted or written onto the back before the (forgive my ignorance here I will put it in a way that I understand and hope you will) clear coat or shellac were added on or would that also create a problem?

John Koenig:

mastevt

I didn't read everyone's response, so if I'm repeating something, I apologize.   I have a photo editing software that I use to size the pictures that the client provides.  It allows me to size the pic down to 3in for on the soundboard, if that's where they want it, for a glass call.  If they want slate, I put it on the back, set in a pocket and sealed with MirrorCoat.  I don't favor putting the pic on the back side of the glass surface for the reason your gonna loose some of the visual once you Condition the call. But that's just my opinion.  I have a friend and call maker who glues the pic to the under side of the glass, and does it all the time.  He uses the clear spray adhesive by Elmer glue.  His calls are very nice, and provide the full 3.5in picture.  Other reason I don't like it is the integrity of the glue holding the glass to the pot.  The only bond holding the glass to the pot is the spray
Glue under the glass.  Essentially, it's the pic that is glued to the pot, not the glass.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mastevt on March 29, 2018, 09:21:46 PM
I didn't read everyone's response, so if I'm repeating something, I apologize.   I have a photo editing software that I use to size the pictures that the client provides.  It allows me to size the pic down to 3in for on the soundboard, if that's where they want it, for a glass call.  If they want slate, I put it on the back, set in a pocket and sealed with MirrorCoat.  I don't favor putting the pic on the back side of the glass surface for the reason your gonna loose some of the visual once you Condition the call. But that's just my opinion.  I have a friend and call maker who glues the pic to the under side of the glass, and does it all the time.  He uses the clear spray adhesive by Elmer glue.  His calls are very nice, and provide the full 3.5in picture.  Other reason I don't like it is the integrity of the glue holding the glass to the pot.  The only bond holding the glass to the pot is the spray
Glue under the glass.  Essentially, it's the pic that is glued to the pot, not the glass.
Sorry I am so late getting back to you. I appreciate the information, I have never done something like this so I like hearing all the options.

John Koenig:

ChainReactionGC

Steve, just saw this post. I do all of that in house as well. I have my own laser, editing software, and I can customize/design whatever you need. (I have a degree in graphic design). I can work with nearly any photo of decent quality. I also don't charge any extra, unless you would want to do a photo on printed vinyl instead f photo paper. Laser work is also no extra charge.
Like others, I wouldn't want to do a larger size, or put it on the underside of the surface.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ChainReactionGC on April 05, 2018, 08:34:47 AM
Steve, just saw this post. I do all of that in house as well. I have my own laser, editing software, and I can customize/design whatever you need. (I have a degree in graphic design). I can work with nearly any photo of decent quality. I also don't charge any extra, unless you would want to do a photo on printed vinyl instead f photo paper. Laser work is also no extra charge.
Like others, I wouldn't want to do a larger size, or put it on the underside of the surface.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Thanks for replying. I still have a lot of time to work with, I am going to try to contact the DEC Officer in another week to try to find out how it all works out with how they do things, I think I will try to make it up there to where they run it all for my county to introduce myself at the end of this month and see if those that run the program are open to the idea and then I will proceed from there. I will post the results of that here in this thread and then go from there. I am hoping this works out.

John Koenig: