OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

how do you deciede which call to use????

Started by adkmountainken, March 27, 2018, 08:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adkmountainken

never had this problem years ago when I was younger, I have a Lohman 870 box call and a couple Quaker boy mouth calls FOR YEARS! in the last few years I got hooked on well made custom calls and enjoy playing them, collecting and hunting with them.  I have a good supply of top notch calls now and trying to figure out which one to carry on opening day! great calls by Ralph Snodgrass, Marlin Watkins and Ernie Fetters. do you goes run a rotation to try them all or stick to your very favorite? I have a couple places in the high ridges where I know a certain long box will work better then others but for the most part its hard to make up my mind!

bobk

I would start with the most appropriate  call for the conditions. After that I would rotate calls. Doesn't seem that you can go wrong with those calls. Good Luck.

southern_leo

I usually start with a favorite, then switch it up until i find what works.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

greencop01

I try one at a time, when one works I run with, Been takin an aluminum pot by Enticer Calls, works so good I think I'll use it till I wear a hole in it.    :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Spitten and drummen

Our season last 7 weeks and I have enough calls to hunt several different ones each day , never using the same one twice. I run calls constantly all through out season and steadily change them out. Part of the fun of collecting calls and turkey hunting.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

KentuckyHeadhunter

Start with the one you run the best and finish with it.  That's the one. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

BTH

I start with the type of call the conditions I am hunting in call for. If I have scouted an area where there is an active gobbler and I have some good cover then I will start with a proven pot call/striker. Usually one I feel I can run without thinking about it. This way most if not all movement can be concealed.  I always keep a mouth call in just in case I have to switch over quick from the pot to the mouth call. More times than I can count I have had a subordinate gobbler slip in quietly where I can't move a muscle. But I can quietly cluck and soft yelp to move him where I need him to be.

In an area where there is an active gobbler with not much to hide in I will find the biggest tree, blowdown, ditch or brush pile to sit against and clip a few limbs and put in front of me (always in the dark, very quietly and far enough away not to bump the gobbler) and go with a mouth call only.

Running and gunning no wind ...mouth call .....and always find a tree/cover to get to quick before calling to a bird in case he answers close. I have had to back up several times as I am sure lots of folks here have experienced. These hunts when successful seem to go pretty fast especially between 10am and 2pm.

"Typical" roost setup, I  usually start with a pot call / striker for soft talking. Then bring him in on the pot call until I either see movement or hear each roll note of his gobble. To me that usually means he is inside of 100 yards.  If he hangs up I will switch calls and strikers until I get him to gobble again to yardage check him or see if I need to move/crawl.

Very windy days any type of hunting I use to use a box call. Now loud strikers on a crystal pot are my go-to for a bit.

Every hunt teaches me something especially with calling OR not calling.
Phil 4:13

Happy hooker

I start with the new calls I got since last season,,if they don't work I quick put them on the swap board and sell em to you guys.

compton30

Quote from: Happy hooker on March 28, 2018, 07:10:03 AM
I start with the new calls I got since last season,,if they don't work I quick put them on the swap board and sell em to you guys.

Quote of the day

vt35mag

BTH

I love it!
Phil 4:13

SteelerFan

Quote from: compton30 on March 28, 2018, 08:02:26 AM

Quote of the day

Yep! :TooFunny:

idratherb

^^^^ WELL SAID^^^^