turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli SBEII + 0.660" Rhino and Nitro #4x5x7 HS pattern

Started by drenalinld, April 19, 2011, 09:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basser69

drenalinld, you will be happy with the JH .660 in your SBE 11. I have one in mine and love it. It outperformed a kicks .655, pure gold .670 in my gun. I have not tried anything in a .665 yet but I will before next year. Oh, this was with straight 7's, 6straight 6's and mag-blends.

jfair

Quote from: drenalinld on April 20, 2011, 11:39:45 AM

jfair - I didn't totally miss with my Mathews, but a gobbler flew off with my arrow in him never to be seen again.

Yep, me too.  Did it a few years back and haven't tried again.  He got into the air ontop the hill of a gas line, and locked his wings for a 300 yard coasting pattern.  Saw him flop at the bottom of the hill and I sprinted there.  No luck finding him.  Searched that mountain for two days.  Made me sick to my stomach.  Someday I may try again.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Hey buddy, why don't you try some Hevi-13 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz #7's?  You may just beat out the Nitro shells.  I got 360 and 357 out of the Star Dot and Pure Gold chokes for my 835 last week on the very first 2 shots of the day.  With numbers like that, why buy Nitro?   :lol:

drenalinld

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 20, 2011, 12:05:29 PM
Hey buddy, why don't you try some Hevi-13 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz #7's?  You may just beat out the Nitro shells.  I got 360 and 357 out of the Star Dot and Pure Gold chokes for my 835 last week on the very first 2 shots of the day.  With numbers like that, why buy Nitro?   :lol:

I have two boxes ordered. I will let you know how they shoot. Agreed on the why buy Nitro. Those Mossy's sure put up some sick #'s!!!

Was that with this year's batch?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: drenalinld on April 20, 2011, 12:19:12 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 20, 2011, 12:05:29 PM

I have two boxes ordered. I will let you know how they shoot. Agreed on the why buy Nitro. Those Mossy's sure put up some sick #'s!!!

Was that with this year's batch?

All I know is I bought them in Dec of 2010.  I bought some form Cabelas and Mid South Shooters Supply.  The lot # I have on the 2 boxes and one is part empty is 300325.  So I'm gussing that has to be the lot number I was using I am almost positive. 

magmaniac190

Quote from: Reloader on April 20, 2011, 11:07:36 AM
Quotereloader - I can't tell much difference in the #7's and the tri-plex loads when cut open. Big variance in shot size in both. What is your experience

Hevi varies in size, in all sizes.  The straight 7s will have more pellets, which in turn places more pellets in your core.  While most of the lots I buy have pretty consistant sizes, some do have more egg shaped and snowmen shaped pellets. That said, the patterns are always very nice.

I wouldn't worry about the energy, worry about the pattern density.  Keep your shots less than the max distance of where you can consistantly get 100 hits in the 10. Also remember that consistant 100 in the 10 on a calm warm day is much different than a windy or cold day.

We've knocked out two at 53&55yds and three at 50yds with the hevi 7s this year at 1200fps. The 55yd bird's head was riddled with holes and his neck was broken at the waddles.  One of the 50yd bird's wing was broken.

Pattern density is the key with turkey ammo.  Patterns play out before energy becomes a concern with every factory shell on the market.

You may possibly make 60yds with h13 7s or Nitros, but the only sure fire way to get to 60+ is with handloading.  TSS is the easiest for extreme range patterns, but not as friendly for short range.

Good Luck

Reloader

Reloader, the 7's you talk about at 1200fps are reloads or factory shells?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: magmaniac190 on April 20, 2011, 01:13:37 PM
Quote from: Reloader on April 20, 2011, 11:07:36 AM
Quotereloader - I can't tell much difference in the #7's and the tri-plex loads when cut open. Big variance in shot size in both. What is your experience

Hevi varies in size, in all sizes.  The straight 7s will have more pellets, which in turn places more pellets in your core.  While most of the lots I buy have pretty consistant sizes, some do have more egg shaped and snowmen shaped pellets. That said, the patterns are always very nice.

I wouldn't worry about the energy, worry about the pattern density.  Keep your shots less than the max distance of where you can consistantly get 100 hits in the 10. Also remember that consistant 100 in the 10 on a calm warm day is much different than a windy or cold day.

We've knocked out two at 53&55yds and three at 50yds with the hevi 7s this year at 1200fps. The 55yd bird's head was riddled with holes and his neck was broken at the waddles.  One of the 50yd bird's wing was broken.

Pattern density is the key with turkey ammo.  Patterns play out before energy becomes a concern with every factory shell on the market.

You may possibly make 60yds with h13 7s or Nitros, but the only sure fire way to get to 60+ is with handloading.  TSS is the easiest for extreme range patterns, but not as friendly for short range.

Good Luck

Reloader

Reloader, the 7's you talk about at 1200fps are reloads or factory shells?

He's talking about his reloads. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And if anyone is skeptical about what the 1090fps Hevi-13 #7's will do to a turkey at a good 45yds can read this.  And that was only a 3" 2oz load out of my 870.  I would hate to see what my 835 would have done shooting the Star Dot or Pure Gold with the heavier 3.5 loads which shoot a lot more denser patterns.  Like I said who needs Nitro?

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,1421.0.html

deerpoo22

drenalinld,
I shoot the same exact setup as you. SB2 with rhino .660 and H517 loads in 4x5x7 and my highest with those is 342 at 40.One thing i would try is to really foul up the barrel.For some reason my gun consistently shoots crappier cleaner then when filthy. First picture is squeaky clean barrel and second one is completely fowled.

drenalinld

Those are great patterns. I will try it dirty. I posted behind you on another SBE II thread. I will be trying H-13 3.5" #7's as soon as the wind cooperates. I was hoping for results like yours with the Nitros. I now wish I had ordered straight 7's instead of triplex.

Will just be to get me through this Spring anyway. I am going to handload TSS before next Spring.

beagler

Never Misses

drenalinld

I shot the H-13 3.5" #7's today with a fouled barrel. The temp was 70 degrees and the humidity was 100% with very light winds. The first shot was 292, the second was 273, the 3rd was 270. Next time I will shoot it clean.

[attachment deleted by admin]

doepee

I am shooting a sbe 2 with a .660 jellyhead and 3.5 in heavy 7s and was really dissapointed in the 10 in count only around 200 ......denalinld I sent you a PM

drenalinld

BTW, lot # is 300325. I understand those are some of the good ones?