turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Not roosting toms Questions??

Started by billinsd, April 18, 2011, 12:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billinsd

I found a public spot that does not get much pressure.  For me it is difficult to roost the birds, one reason it is a 60 mile drive and second I think I could spook the birds trying to find them and see where they roost. 

If they are using an area and generally roosting in an area, how do you call if they could be roosted in a tree 50 yards away, or 1/4 mile away?

I would not want to start out with a real loud call at first, however, when would I crank up the volume trying to elicite a gobble from a distant bird?

How would you all go about this?
Thanks
Bill

swampgobbler

i'll take the first stab at it.  i think there is a world of difference when it comes to a bird that is 50 yds away compared to one that is roosted a 1/4 mile away.  without having scouted, you are just hoping to get lucky by being close enough to one when he lets out a gobble.  as for my style, i don't do a lot of calling while they are on the roost. the calling i do is very, very soft.    if you want to make them gobble, the use of an owl call would probably be effective and would allow you to sneak in closer to the bird without him every knowing you are there.  good luck

West Augusta

Start with an Owl hoot just before first light and see if he will gobble.  If close, call quietly.  If far away, then you can crank up the volume a little.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Bigsho69

Walking in blind can cause you to end up directly under roosted birds.  If you realize this before you start calling, dont call!  I have seen too many birds get spooked when someone sets up blindly in the dark and starts calling.  I have done it myself.  On your way in give a couple of owl hoots like they others suggest.  If you get no response that doesnt mean there are no birds.  Start off softly until you know they are on the ground.  Now on the other hand, if you get a hen calling loudly on the roost, try and cut her off in mid yelp.  This usually makes the Toms go crazy when you get a fight going with a hen.  She should come over and check you out to see who the intruder is and you know who will be not far. 

gobblerhunter

First, I totally agree with Bigsho69.  Walking in blind can cause you to spook roosted birds.  I normally give several owl hoots, if nothing responds then I switch to soft clucks.  A lot of times, birds just do not respond while on the roost.  This could be due to hunting pressure, being spooked, etc. Going into the woods blindly, before fly down or daylight, will normally lead to nothing good.  I don't know how many times I have done this and spooked birds off the roost.  At lot of times, hens and gobblers will be roosting in the same area.  You may not spook the gobbler but the hens.  This is just as bad.
I just returned from a hunt in south Texas.  Birds were not gobbling on the roost.   I owl hooted several times at the edge of a field, got no response. In fact, I heard no birds before daylight.  I knew birds were in the area, so I sat up at the edge of the field with a couple hen decoys.  I started off with a fly down cackel followed by some soft clucks.  I had several hens respond.  I then switched to a more aggressive hen yelps and cutting off the hen when possible.  She responded to my calling bringing in a good two/three year old gobbler.  He was following her like a puppy dog.
His beard was about 10 inches and had 1 inch spurs.

billinsd