OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Point of impact

Started by nbkillr, April 19, 2011, 03:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfair

Quote from: Number17 on April 19, 2011, 09:37:09 PM
As the choke threads in the barrel it may have a slight "cam" to it instead of threading dead straight.  Thread it hand tight, and it may shoot dead low.  Give it 1/8th turn and it may shoot low right.

Them dag on Jakes at the Girlscout Camp aint gonna care one way or the other!

Understand.  I would think that with how fine the threads are and how deep they go into the barrel, this would be minimal.  Smallest change here would have a large affect down range, so it makes sense.  Why would different shells move POI left or right?  I can see the wad affecting flight but wouldn't this be random?  Thanks for the help.

nbkillr

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 19, 2011, 07:39:03 PM
Quote from: nbkillr on April 19, 2011, 03:12:40 PM
Has anyone experienced where different chokes does not hit where you aim and still using the same load and everything?  I used the same constriction (.660) choke but different brands and found that they aren't hitting where I aim.   

How far is it off at what yardage?

From where I was aiming to the center of impact was 12" low and 2" to the right at 20 yards. 

drenalinld

jfair - with rifles it is barrel harmonics, the barrel is oscillating and timing can result in great POI changes. I would think this can be a factor for shotguns as well?

jfair

Quote from: drenalinld on April 20, 2011, 12:16:58 PM
jfair - with rifles it is barrel harmonics, the barrel is oscillating and timing can result in great POI changes. I would think this can be a factor for shotguns as well?

Ok, I can see that.  I tend to analyze things too much and want to know why.  Sometimes "it is what it is", I guess.  Thanks for answering.

scastle

can you change poi without going to a gunsmith or going through a bunch of choke tubes?

new2turkey

Quote from: scastle on April 20, 2011, 08:04:08 PM
can you change poi without going to a gunsmith or going through a bunch of choke tubes?

It'd be easier to just change POA...

Reloader

You can. It involves two trees close together and it usually takes a few cold beverages to gather the courage.  Notice I said few as too many can lead to a new and very expensive cheater pipe.

new2turkey

Quote from: Reloader on April 21, 2011, 11:59:19 AM

You can. It involves two trees close together and it usually takes a few cold beverages to gather the courage.  Notice I said few as too many can lead to a new and very expensive cheater pipe.

Lol, I wasn't even about to suggest this.... I have heard of it used on the NEF singles though.

jebs chokes

slikeyboyboo you can change POI by cutting .002/.003/.004 shim stock wrap the one that best fits your gun choke cobo this is why I started building chokes to start whit  where the right haned thread torqes down thats where it pulles the choke tube to. turkeyhunter

3" 870 Shell Shucker

My 870 and BPS both shoot 3"+ high of POA at 35 Yards.  I just aim a little low.

I have an NEF Pardner 12 Gauge Modified that originally shot 1 Foot Low, and 1 Foot to the Left at 25 Yards.  I bent the barrel to be dead on at 25 Yards.  It looks funny, but now it shoots straight and it throws a nice pattern with HB or HV Lead.  It's my "Yard" Gun.

drenalinld

I have a NEF single with a special order 3.5" turkey barrel and a Kicks choke. It shoots about a foot low at 40 yards. I built up some camo tape at the back of the barrel and corrected the POA/POI difference.