OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Point of impact

Started by nbkillr, April 19, 2011, 03:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nbkillr

Has anyone experienced where different chokes does not hit where you aim and still using the same load and everything?  I used the same constriction (.660) choke but different brands and found that they aren't hitting where I aim.   

scastle

i have , and i have seen it in differant guns. a mossberg shoots low and right and a remington is right on.i have also seen a gun shoot good on paper and take it hunting and cant hit nothing,and vice versa.thats what kills me, me and you can have same set up and yours works great and mine not worth a poop.

goblr77

Quote from: nbkillr on April 19, 2011, 03:12:40 PM
Has anyone experienced where different chokes does not hit where you aim and still using the same load and everything?  I used the same constriction (.660) choke but different brands and found that they aren't hitting where I aim.    

Yep. Most of the time it occurs from the choke not being concentric to the bore. Find the one that shoots straight and keep it.

bowhunter84

Quote from: goblr77 on April 19, 2011, 03:26:33 PM
Has anyone experienced where different chokes does not hit where you aim and still using the same load and everything?  I used the same constriction (.660) choke but different brands and found that they aren't hitting where I aim.    

Yep. Most of the time it occurs from the choke not being concentric to the bore. Find the one that shoots straight and keep it.
:icon_thumright:

deadbuck

I have had that same experience!!

Reloader

+3

Even the same choke/brand and same constriction can have varying impacts, IE two JH660s may have differing POIs from the same gun.

Moral to the story is to sight in and hunt with the exact same ammo and choke.

pullit

nbkillr

Thanks guys, I've gone back to my old choke that I started out with and don't plan on changing. 

grousec

I have had a couple of guns that had a true straight POI, and i don't like a gun that doesn't.  I also don't like using scopes.

stev

I too had a same problem my poi was off left and down
Took to my gunsmith and he fixed it up
555 IC 5,6,7 magnum 20ga
I aimed for the eye ball at 35 yds

Spring_Woods

Has anyone experienced where different chokes does not hit where you aim and still using the same load and everything?  I used the same constriction (.660) choke but different brands and found that they aren't hitting where I aim.   

How far is it off at what yardage?
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

jfair

I don't understand this at all.  What would cause the choke to not be concentric with the barrel?  Maybe I am just lucky but I shoot an 11-87 and an 870 and have never had to change my point of aim.  Granted I don't go through as many choke shell combos as some do.  I shoot a scope and once it is sighted all my shells shoot the same POI, low brass, high  brass, turkey loads in lead and heavi, even when changing between chokes.  I can see a shot being high or low depending on the load but left or right does not make sense.  With a straight barrel how can the shot go anywhere but straight out?  I guess it happens, but how?

Gobble!

when i got my indian creek it was about 6 inches high and 4 inches right but im shooting a red dot so it didnt matter to me

Number17

As the choke threads in the barrel it may have a slight "cam" to it instead of threading dead straight.  Thread it hand tight, and it may shoot dead low.  Give it 1/8th turn and it may shoot low right.

Them dag on Jakes at the Girlscout Camp aint gonna care one way or the other!
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Reloader

Quote from: jfair on April 19, 2011, 09:14:37 PM

I don't understand this at all.  What would cause the choke to not be concentric with the barrel?  Maybe I am just lucky but I shoot an 11-87 and an 870 and have never had to change my point of aim.  Granted I don't go through as many choke shell combos as some do.  I shoot a scope and once it is sighted all my shells shoot the same POI, low brass, high  brass, turkey loads in lead and heavi, even when changing between chokes.  I can see a shot being high or low depending on the load but left or right does not make sense.  With a straight barrel how can the shot go anywhere but straight out?  I guess it happens, but how?

If the choke portion is not bored dead center, the gun will not shoot true.  If the choke is not turned perfectly center, it will not shoot straight either. We are talking tiny measurements, but a little goes a long way.