OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Buffing up pot calls question

Started by JALA Strut, March 16, 2018, 04:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JALA Strut

For my pot calls, I use a scotch-brite pad to buff up my slates and a fine grit sand paper to buff up my glass.  Are these Ok to use and what grit sand paper do you use?

coyote1

Definitely scotch brite on slate. Glass 100-120 grit paper or conditioning stone, whichever sounds best. Crystal i only use a stone.

southern_leo

Scotch brite on slate, anodized, and ceramic, I use green. Fine grit sandpaper on glass, crystal, but I highly recommend using a stone instead they are cheap and work alot better. Sand paper on raw metals. Only run it left and right not circular.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

I use green Scotch Brite on my Slate, conditioning stone on glass and 200 grit emery cloth on the strikers

MK M GOBL

JALA Strut

Thanks for the replies guys.  Seems like a conditioning stone is preferred for crystal or glass.  That's what I figured and will plan on getting a conditioning stone this week.

Bowguy

I'd not use real fine grit on glass. Personally I lean more toward 100 grit. And only say west to east strokes not back n forth. Going too light can smooth a call out. That's not the intent. The intent is ridges for a striker to run across. 80 grit sanding screen some guys use and I will too if that's all that's handy but prefer 100-80 sandpaper. Slates I too use scotchbrite but never green, the maroon stuff.

Tony Hawkins

I tried some #0000 fine steel wool on a glass and a slate call last week. Dependng on which striker I used they sounded good. I took a sharpie and marked the stirkers so I don't forget while hunting.

M,Yingling

slate scotch brite ,,,,glass or crystal  once call is conditioned with stone if its a runner should only need dry wall screen ( which i like better then sandpaper clogs up ) or scotch brite pad ,,,,, take all the suggestions and see what your call likes and sound it produces with each way of conditioning ,,, if constantly using stone move it around on surface as keep doing it in one small spot will wear surface down  ,,,, striker 150 laid in palm hand give twist ,,,if harder wood like dymond wood i like run papper across the grain lightly   
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Txag12

When conditioning yalls pots do you lean ag saints going back and forth in one direction, and actually lifting the stone/pad/screen/paper and going back to the point you started? Ie going from left to right, lifting it up and going left to right again, rather then left to right and right to left

1iagobblergetter

Txag12.......I sand only in one direction,lift and back in the same direction. Just enough to ruff it up..

southern_leo

Quote from: Txag12 on March 19, 2018, 03:53:42 PM
When conditioning yalls pots do you lean ag saints going back and forth in one direction, and actually lifting the stone/pad/screen/paper and going back to the point you started? Ie going from left to right, lifting it up and going left to right again, rather then left to right and right to left
I'll go back and forth left and right. I don't understand how only going one direction makes any difference since it's impossible to line the grain up the same way each time. I've never had an issue doing it this way. Nothing wrong with one direction if that's your thing, I just don't see a difference in the call.

compton30

Quote from: southern_leo on March 19, 2018, 09:24:46 PM
Quote from: Txag12 on March 19, 2018, 03:53:42 PM
I'll go back and forth left and right. I don't understand how only going one direction makes any difference since it's impossible to line the grain up the same way each time. I've never had an issue doing it this way. Nothing wrong with one direction if that's your thing, I just don't see a difference in the call.

Agree wholeheartedly.

1iagobblergetter

I don't sand over the same spot back and forth.Im trying to ruff up the surface not smooth it back out. Drag across,pick up,drag across below where I just sanded,pick up..or if your only sanding the little spot on the glass like some guys like it would be about one drag across. Just the way I've always conditioned. Its worked for me for the last 20 years..

walk_n_squawk24

Try a conditioning stone on crystal or glass. Seems to give me better quality sounds than sandpaper.