OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TurkeTurkey fan in a field

Started by High plains drifter, March 13, 2018, 07:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublelung

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on March 14, 2018, 10:22:37 AM
Quote from: Number17 on March 14, 2018, 08:23:34 AM
I have a fan mounted to a small block of wood that has a 5/16" stud protruding through it.
The stud screws into the stabilizer on my bow.
I remove the center tail feather and zip tie the adjacent feathers together to create an opening for the arrow to pass. You also see your pins through the center opening in the fan.

I only used it once and it worked as intended. I strategically moved on a henned up, silent gobbler when he crested a knob in a field. I sneaked up along a hedgerow and got into position at the crest of the field.
I put the fan out in front of me and rolled up on my knees to make the fan visible to the birds.
The gobbler saw me instantly and came strutting hard right into 10 steps where I severed his spinal column. Big bird. 1 1/4" spurs.

A fan on a stick in a low cut or plowed field may not work so well, I don't know. But if you get into a high grass or brush field I'm sure it would work as well as any other decoy.

This is the most stupid thing I every heard of the first time I heard of it, some one crawling behide a turkey fan. It might work but There is no turkey in this world that is important enough to take the smallest chance of being killed for. Sorry You have your point this is mine. Companys making money off peoples lack of hunting skills, and brains.

But how do you REALLY feel?   ;D ;D ;D

High plains drifter

Thanks for all the comments, I think I'll try sticking one in a bush.Im not going to crawl with one, that seems dishonorable, and sort of bush league. I'll post the results.

Number17

I have a fan mounted to a small block of wood that has a 5/16" stud protruding through it.
I remove the center tail feather and zip tie the adjacent feathers together to create an opening for the arrow to pass. You also see your pins through the center opening in the fan.

I only used it once and it worked as intended. I strategically moved on a henned up, silent gobbler when he crested a knob in a field. I sneaked up along a hedgerow and got into position at the crest of the field.
I put the fan out in front of me and rolled up on my knees to make the fan visible to the birds.
The gobbler saw me instantly and came strutting hard right into 10 steps where I severed his spinal column. Big bird. 1 1/4" spurs.

A fan on a stick in a low cut or plowed field may not work so well, I don't know. But if you get into a high grass or brush field I'm sure it would work as well as any other decoy.

This is the most stupid thing I every heard of the first time I heard of it, some one crawling behide a turkey fan. It might work but There is no turkey in this world that is important enough to take the smallest chance of being killed for. Sorry You have your point this is mine. Companys making money off peoples lack of hunting skills, and brains.

I'll nearly guarantee I've killed more Pope and Young bucks and Longbeards than you have, in more ways than you've ever dreamed about..........and with your inability to form a competent sentence from a thought in your own head, I'm certainly smarter than you in all regards. At no point in your incoherent rambling did you come anywhere near forming a complete thought.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Nobody made a nickle off me killing that bird. I took a fan from one of the numerous longbeards I've killed over the years using a multitude of techniques and attached it to my bow as a decoy. I sat down and showed the turkeys the decoy, making him enraged to the point that he came over looking for a fight.
Is it your contention that anyone who uses a decoy is stupid and incompetent?
Fanning is a far cry from reaping. Learn the difference so you don't look so foolish.

I have killed gobbler, after gobbler, after gobbler by sitting down in the woods, calling him in and knocking his head off when he came into range.
And I've killed just as many with alternative techniques. Never once from a blind.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Number17

#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Number17 on March 14, 2018, 10:37:52 PM

I'll nearly guarantee I've killed more Pope and Young bucks and Longbeards than you have, in more ways than you've ever dreamed about..........and with your inability to form a competent sentence from a thought in your own head, I'm certainly smarter than you in all regards. At no point in your incoherent rambling did you come anywhere near forming a complete thought.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Nobody made a nickle off me killing that bird. I took a fan from one of the numerous longbeards I've killed over the years using a multitude of techniques and attached it to my bow as a decoy. I sat down and showed the turkeys the decoy, making him enraged to the point that he came over looking for a fight.
Is it your contention that anyone who uses a decoy is stupid and incompetent?
Fanning is a far cry from reaping. Learn the difference so you don't look so foolish.

I have killed gobbler, after gobbler, after gobbler by sitting down in the woods, calling him in and knocking his head off when he came into range.
And I've killed just as many with alternative techniques. Never once from a blind.
[/quote

English was not a strong point of mine nore is my computer skills I will admit. An I normally avoid causing anyone high blood pressure. But will never change my views on common sense. You posting what you did will  give some (stupid)kid with less woods experance as you at risk for doing something stupid.  Think about it, wasn't trying to attack you personall.  And if to many people get hurt for any reason gives the anties fuel to shut us all down from turkey hunting. We are all hear for the same thing to share story, and hopefully pass good hunting skills.

GobbleNut

Okay boys,...don't get your snoods all knotted up here.  One of you was pointing out a method that, for bowhunters, is an innovative way to hunt gobblers and the other was pointing out that there are times and places where that technique could be dangerous.  Both of you have valid points.  Time to kiss and make up,...and carry on.... ;D