turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TurkeTurkey fan in a field

Started by High plains drifter, March 13, 2018, 07:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

I was thinking of taking a turkey fan with me,  and setting it up in the open, near my hen decoy.Would this work,  or spook birds?

guesswho

Could go either way.   One sure thing, going without the fan won't spook them.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

MK M GOBL

This is the predecessor to "reaping" from what I have in seen in some videos on fanning difference was there was not the crawling/sneaking up to a turkey to take a shot... The fan was raised, turned and put back down, it would appear from a distance that another bird was silently strutting in the area of the calling. I met with a guy who used this tactic with 2 jake fans glued back to back with a stake/hand hold.

MK M GOBL

cphill

Quote from: guesswho on March 13, 2018, 07:24:05 PM
.........that's my opinion on all of the fanning

High plains drifter

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 13, 2018, 07:43:06 PM
This is the predecessor to "reaping" from what I have in seen in some videos on fanning difference was there was not the crawling/sneaking up to a turkey to take a shot... The fan was raised, turned and put back down, it would appear from a distance that another bird was silently strutting in the area of the calling. I met with a guy who used this tactic with 2 jake fans glued back to back with a stake/hand hold.
I don't agree with crawling around with a fan, I don't see how that could work.ive seen it on tv, it's crazy. I've been using this hen, I don't move around much, and I don't use a stake.Seeing a hunkered down hen, brings them in.Maybe a can somewhere might help.
MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Quote from: High plains drifter on March 13, 2018, 09:28:47 PM
I don't agree with crawling around with a fan, I don't see how that could work.ive seen it on tv, it's crazy. I've been using this hen, I don't move around much, and I don't use a stake.Seeing a hunkered down hen, brings them in.Maybe a can somewhere might help.
MK M GOBL

I am not promoting the "reaping" technique, all I was referring to was the use of "fanning" I do not do this either. Maybe my intention was misread. From what I have seen in fanning there was NO crawling or sneaking to get a shot. The hunter stayed in positon and would raise the fan, make some motion with it and then lay it down to their side. This was a stationary tactic, there again not promoting this at all. It would seem that fanning lead to what is now called reaping... Hope this clears it up.

I have done many Hunter's Ed Classes and the use of a "reaping decoy" in front of my body chest and head seems crazy to me, I do use more "Standard" decoys placed away from me, they are bagged and out of sight while I move and until I make a set, I never set a Tom/Jake on public (inherent danger) and still use with caution on private...

MK M GOBL

Gobble!

Quote from: guesswho on March 13, 2018, 07:24:05 PM

The man has a solid point.

High plains drifter

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 13, 2018, 10:20:07 PM
Quote from: High plains drifter on March 13, 2018, 09:28:47 PM
MK M GOBL

I am not promoting the "reaping" technique, all I was referring to was the use of "fanning" I do not do this either. Maybe my intention was misread. From what I have seen in fanning there was NO crawling or sneaking to get a shot. The hunter stayed in positon and would raise the fan, make some motion with it and then lay it down to their side. This was a stationary tactic, there again not promoting this at all. It would seem that fanning lead to what is now called reaping... Hope this clears it up.

I have done many Hunter's Ed Classes and the use of a "reaping decoy" in front of my body chest and head seems crazy to me, I do use more "Standard" decoys placed away from me, they are bagged and out of sight while I move and until I make a set, I never set a Tom/Jake on public (inherent danger) and still use with caution on private...
I I agree, and sneaking up on a bird has no cooth anyway.I try to shoot these birds with honor.
MK M GOBL

idgobble

bchilde

First opportunity I had to use my fan was last year. 3 longbeards one single hen. Slipped up the creek to where they would be able to see me and showed them the fan. Hen left the long beards and came with in 10 yards of me. The stupid long beards tucked there tails and left the field. So yeah it could go either way when using a tail fan.

Number17

I have a fan mounted to a small block of wood that has a 5/16" stud protruding through it.
The stud screws into the stabilizer on my bow.
I remove the center tail feather and zip tie the adjacent feathers together to create an opening for the arrow to pass. You also see your pins through the center opening in the fan.

I only used it once and it worked as intended. I strategically moved on a henned up, silent gobbler when he crested a knob in a field. I sneaked up along a hedgerow and got into position at the crest of the field.
I put the fan out in front of me and rolled up on my knees to make the fan visible to the birds.
The gobbler saw me instantly and came strutting hard right into 10 steps where I severed his spinal column. Big bird. 1 1/4" spurs.

A fan on a stick in a low cut or plowed field may not work so well, I don't know. But if you get into a high grass or brush field I'm sure it would work as well as any other decoy.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

turkaholic

I have done this. This is a far cry from reaping. This technique is just another decoy spread. If your into that. I used a fan from a gobbler I shot, spread the feathers and dried it. I wired a decoy stake to it and slip it in another stake over it so it moves gently in a breeze. I put it not in the field ,but in the wood line behind my spread. It seems very natural to me. Does it work? No clue. I'm not a big decoy guy but when things get tough and you need to focus on an area with birds, I sometimes set up for several hours and try this with soft calling. Kind of a last resort tactic.
live to hunt hunt to live

TauntoHawk

It's just a strutter decoy without any body, sure if birds come to the funky chicken even though it doesn't look like any turkey they've ever seen they will come to a real fan where they can't seem to see the body.

A buddy of mine used to have a fan on a little wire stake ment for a for sale sign, it worked better then the little foam decoys and we sure had never heard of dsd or any of the other comanpies around today. It was free, light, and worked. He might still use it from time to time

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

daddyduke

I watched a video of a hunter that stuck a fan stapled to a sharpened paint stirrer behind a breeder hen decoy. 2 Toms came into his set up, knocked the fan down and jumped all over it. :popcorn:
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Number17 on March 14, 2018, 08:23:34 AM
I have a fan mounted to a small block of wood that has a 5/16" stud protruding through it.
The stud screws into the stabilizer on my bow.
I remove the center tail feather and zip tie the adjacent feathers together to create an opening for the arrow to pass. You also see your pins through the center opening in the fan.

I only used it once and it worked as intended. I strategically moved on a henned up, silent gobbler when he crested a knob in a field. I sneaked up along a hedgerow and got into position at the crest of the field.
I put the fan out in front of me and rolled up on my knees to make the fan visible to the birds.
The gobbler saw me instantly and came strutting hard right into 10 steps where I severed his spinal column. Big bird. 1 1/4" spurs.

A fan on a stick in a low cut or plowed field may not work so well, I don't know. But if you get into a high grass or brush field I'm sure it would work as well as any other decoy.

This is the most stupid thing I every heard of the first time I heard of it, some one crawling behide a turkey fan. It might work but There is no turkey in this world that is important enough to take the smallest chance of being killed for. Sorry You have your point this is mine. Companys making money off peoples lack of hunting skills, and brains.