turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Halloran Box Call Question

Started by 870BkWht, March 05, 2018, 12:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

Im thinking of buying a Halloran Box call but Im having trouble making the choice between the Walnut and Mac Ebony or the Poplar and Mac Ebony. 

Looking for opinons on both as well as opinions on his box calls all together.  Ive never run his box calls so I have nothing to compare to.

Thanks
Ben

letinmfly

I believe he has a video of him running the Ebony/Walnut on his Facebook page if you want to hear it. 
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

Prohunter3509

That ebony is one fine sounding call

TauntoHawk

His boxes run great I think you'd be happy with either but you could always call him and ask he difference in both and decide for what sound you want.

I have his purpleheart, cedar, spalted maple and it's a great sounding and looking box. bit smaller in length then some other short boxes and a slightly heavier paddle make it really effortless to run.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

chuckward

We ran them all in Nashville. His ebony over poplar and ebony over limba were the best sounding to my ear.

dzsmith

I tried them all, and walked away with a walnut over butternut. The ebony poplar was very nice, probably would have been my second choice. But I wanted something the most different from the dozens of boxes I already have
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

vt35mag

When are you looking to pull the trigger on one? 
I have the poplar, limba, and should have the walnut sometime next week. 
I could probably make you a sound file of all three played outside.

nyhunter

Quote from: vt35mag on March 05, 2018, 04:14:50 PM

please make a sound file for all 3, I'd like to hear them all

vt35mag

Quote from: nyhunter on March 05, 2018, 04:31:41 PM
Quote from: vt35mag on March 05, 2018, 04:14:50 PM

please make a sound file for all 3, I'd like to hear them all

10-4

kwild835

Quote from: dzsmith on March 05, 2018, 03:52:14 PM
I tried them all, and walked away with a walnut over butternut. The ebony poplar was very nice, probably would have been my second choice. But I wanted something the most different from the dozens of boxes I already have
I liked that one a whole lot at the Dixie Deer Classic. It and the macassar/walnut. 

Ol Yelper

I have both the Ebony/Poplar and the Ebony/Walnut, just got the walnut. Both are very very good and they look beautiful. I would have to give the edge to the Walnut. I think it's a little easier playing and it will tone down nicely, you can get some nice purrs and soft yelps with the Walnut and not so much with the Poplar. They're different and you'll like both.

2nd 100

I run them for 3 days straight at Nationals. I have to say my pick would be the walnut . thats some Really good  walnut he has now. I have pheart/ cedar , Mac/ limba , Mac / Walnut , Mac/ Poplar and Walnut/ Butternut.
The paddles are heavier than most but that allows a lot more people to be able to run them. All are good , but I saw more people pick up Mac / Walnut and run it better. But David sold out at Dixie Classic also.  So he will be buiding more when he returns home. All said you won't go wrong with either. Go with which one looks best In your vest , the turkeys won't know the difference.

dzsmith

Quote from: kwild835 on March 05, 2018, 07:27:35 PM
Quote from: dzsmith on March 05, 2018, 03:52:14 PM
I liked that one a whole lot at the Dixie Deer Classic. It and the macassar/walnut.

david told me at the convention that the south Carolina guys bought more walnut over butternuts from him than anything else. Its not a quiet call in my opinion, but I run wide open on most of my calls , and kill more doing that than trying to be quiet
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

vt35mag

Got home and found a box from David on the table. MM2 and ebony/walnut was inside. I just ran all 3 ebony boxes and I like the walnut the best for sure. I will try and make some files this weekend.

nyhunter