OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Rain Gear

Started by turkeykiller22, February 28, 2018, 08:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller22

Found out today that my rain gear is no longer waterproof. I have had the cabelas pants for years, I have even added the spray on protector with not much luck. Any suggestions on good rain gear? Not really wanting Frogg Togg stuff...

Thanks!
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

nyhunter

love my cabelas MT050, my son has cabelas dry plus and thats pretty nice to, but I think the MT050 is better

reynolds243

When it comes to raid gear you are gonna get what you pay for it no doubt. You can find waterproof stuff like the MT500 stuff but it won't breath well at all. Really good rain gear like kuiu, First Lite and Sitka cost an arm and a leg BUT they are really really good gear that will last and cross off all the quality marks in weight, breathability and waterproof rating. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgm1955

Ranger

Military issue GoreTex Parka ( w pit zips) and pullover Patrol Rain pants can be found on eBay and most surplus stores.  Higher quality than Sitka and much better price tag. 
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Happy hooker

I would highly recommend rain bibs vs pants,,your going to be sitting down alot and that gap between jacket and pants is where you get wet the bibs eliminate that.

Txag12

Great sale price on the cabelas mt050 gortex right now, can't provide a review though as I myself am looking for some quality rain gear and debating purchasing these

Daveb

No good one answer for the best rain gear to me. A lot depends on your budget, where you hunt and your style of hunting. Do you want camo or solids? Made in USA or don't care?

Sitka, arcteryx, Marmot, First Light, Patagonia, Western Mountaineering, Cabela's all make rain gear and no doubt many more. Some of these are pro hunting, some not. Some offer camo, some not. Some made in USA, some not. Depends on where you want to spend your money and what you want.

I'm fortunate enough in CO that we have very little rain, if it does rain it generally doesn't last long. I could get away using a garbage bag (and have done so), so what I might need might not suit you. I like lightweight and packable. I hike a lot so I like pit zips for those rare times it rains longer than usual and i hike in the rain. I also like to use it as a windbreaker/extra layer and I don't carry rain pants. I support pro hunting organizations/companies and my budget is realistic but not limited either. Currently I am a using the Sitka Dewpoint and it fits my needs well.

If I was hunting in the PNW or Eastern states with lots more precipitation, I would probably be looking for heavier weight stuff that would stay dry in even the wettest environment and pants/bibs to boot.

Happy hooker

Turkey killer
Just out of curiosity did you try to revive your cabelas??? Did you try the extreme heat dryer that revitalise s and nelts the coating and tightens up the cells.
Also if you immerse it in nixwax it will waterproof them well. I have cabelas guide wear that's 17 years old and have done both techniques to extend life. Here in Minnesota land of 10,000 lakes we need good raiin gear on the water and at $400 a set it needs to last.

land cruiser

Another vote for Sitka. However, when I hunt AK or BC I wear Helly Hansen

Smooth_Operator

First Lite, Sitka, or Kuiu as already mentioned. Some buddies and I went on a two week elk hunting trip in the Bob Marshall Wilderness of Montana this past fall. We had rain, wind, sun, and a day or two of almost a foot of snow. We were on the move constantly, in every type of weather imaginable. I used First Lite, my other two buddies were in Sitka and Kuiu. We were all very impressed with our choices of rain wear. If you do a lot of walking, breathability is a must. If you wait for it you can find good deals on Camofire or BlackOvis. The Rokslide forum can offer up some great deals as well on lightly used gear...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

Marc

Quote from: Smooth_Operator on February 28, 2018, 10:44:23 PM
First Lite, Sitka, or Kuiu as already mentioned. Some buddies and I went on a two week elk hunting trip in the Bob Marshall Wilderness of Montana this past fall. We had rain, wind, sun, and a day or two of almost a foot of snow. We were on the move constantly, in every type of weather imaginable. I used First Lite, my other two buddies were in Sitka and Kuiu. We were all very impressed with our choices of rain wear. If you do a lot of walking, breathability is a must. If you wait for it you can find good deals on Camofire or BlackOvis. The Rokslide forum can offer up some great deals as well on lightly used gear...

I finally broke down and purchased a Sitka Delta rain coat, and was highly impressed...  Well designed waterfowl rain coat that actually kept me dry...  I do not ever remember being in a hard rain, and not at least being moist underneath my coat, and I was a bit shocked when it happened with the Sitka the first time...

Kuiu is good stuff as well, and I have tried it on...  My father has it (the Kuiu Yukon which is similar in quality and price to the Sitka), and prefers it over his Sitka Delta as far as utility, but prefers the Sitka for the camouflage (the Kuiu does not make a decent pattern for our area, and with late season birds wearing a green jacket in brown background can make a difference).

I looked into First Lite as well, and have heard nothing but positive reviews...

Frankly, I was ready to drop the hammer on the First Lite, but got deal on a Sitka for more than 1/2 off and jumped on it...

One thing I would do if looking at these coats is look at what you are going to use them for, and compare the features of these coats for your particular use.  For instance, it is far less important to dump heat in a waterfowl coat than in a big game coat...  I need waterproof easily accessible pockets to store shells in a waterfowl coat, and I do not want a long coat for waterfowl (as I am wearing waders underneath and a longer coat is more likely to drag in the water while wading through deeper holes).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Cut N Run

I got some european military surplus camo GoreTex bibs that work great and a Rocky GoreTex jacket on clearance at Bass Pro which keep me dry even in the heaviest downpour.  The GoreTex still gets hot when walking around too much on a warm day, so I either get wet from rain outside or wet from sweat underneath.  It is ideal if I'm not moving around a lot.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Uncle Nicky

Doghouse pop-up blind works best for me. :boon:

Fullfan

Don't gobble at me...