OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Duck and Goose Call Maker Glynn Scobey has passed

Started by chcltlabz, April 18, 2011, 01:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chcltlabz

Thought a few of you call makers on here might have either known him or met him.  Just got word that Mr. Scobey has passed on at the age of 79.  I just saw him at the Harrisburg show a couple months ago, and he frequented a lot of the outdoor shows.  He always made one of the prettiest hand carved calls at an unbelieveable price, and was one of the nicest people you would ever meet.

The waterfowling world lost a legend and a pioneer for sure.

RIP Mr. Scobey
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

misfire

Sorry to hear that, I have been a big admirer of his carved calls for some time
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

smurf

I met him once.  Nice guy.  How about some of you that have his calls post thiem as sort of a tribute?
If you can't stand behind our troops.  Feel free to stand in front of them.

pappy

Mr Scobey was a great man and sure fire callmaker. He told me once that you have to protect your assets when you make calls. He was so right, he would laugh about some of the calls he saw over the years, how they tended to have a head start on him and the older guys in callmaking. Sure gonna miss seeing him in Sanburg for the CCAA contest.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

chcltlabz

Pappy, funny you mention protecting your assets.  Mr. Scobey had a booth every year at the Eastern Outdoor Show.  His calls were ridiculously low priced, but someone made away with his cash box from the booth.  My only thought was that I couldn't believe someone would take all that money from a great guy who obviously loved making calls and put all that effort into a beautiful product and couldn't have made hardly any money on them.  That carving had to take him a few hours per call, and I think he charged like $35 a call.  Booths at Harrisburg cost $1500, and materials for the calls aren't free.

Labor of love.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.