OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal TSS with Trulock TSS Chokes - UPDATE

Started by BigPimpin, February 26, 2018, 07:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorjones20

Either way it's got me curious.  Wondering how they will perform in the 20 with handloads...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

stetor

Quote from: taylorjones20 on February 27, 2018, 10:49:39 AM
Either way it's got me curious.  Wondering how they will perform in the 20 with handloads...

I have the one for heavyweight 7s to try. You are welcome to it also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mahifishn

I ordered both. The one for #7's and the one for #9's.. i'm still nervous about pulling the trigger on a .640 with 3.5" of TSS...

Gobble!

Quote from: mahifishn on February 28, 2018, 08:39:25 AM
I ordered both. The one for #7's and the one for #9's.. i'm still nervous about pulling the trigger on a .640 with 3.5" of TSS...

It does go against everything handloaders have experienced with TSS shells over the years. My gun preferred a more open choke with my handload. BUT the internals of the Federal TSS shells and the internals of these chokes clearly work well together in at least the OPs guns.

I'd still like to know what one of these chokes look like inside. If I remember right their chokes for the flight control wad were not ported and did not have wad strippers.

kyturkeyhunter4

Those are some good numbers, I was wondering how those shells would perform. I've always been a Winchester LB fan but i may have to get a box and try those out in my gun.

owlhoot

Quote from: Gobble! on February 27, 2018, 10:43:53 AM
Quote from: taylorjones20 on February 27, 2018, 10:28:21 AM
This is very interesting.  I've never owned a Trulock choke but man they look nice (they don't stick out of the barrel 2") and they are very reasonably priced!

They were one of if not the best choke for shooting Federals flight control wad. I'm wondering if they worked with Federal early on to work up a choke for these new wads.
Would wonder if they changed much or any at all?

mahifishn

Headed to the range shortly. Will report back. Indian Creek .665 comes in Monday. Will try that out as well.

mahifishn

POI impact is definitely high right. Haven't had a chance to count yet, but this is 40 yds off of a lead sled.

BigPimpin

I'd rather be Drivin' > Disco.

BigPimpin

owlhoot

No choke expert but those choke constrictions seem like defeating the flight control wad to me?

mahifishn

All at 40 yards:
Trulock .650 - 290 pellets
Trulock .640 - 264 pellets
Kicks .665 - 255 pellets
Jelly Head .660 - 214 pellets

Gobspur

Thatll killem dead for sure!  Looks like your highest pattern of 290, is 36% of the load.  Did you count/look at 20 inch pattern?

Ive got a indian creek 675 im going to try in a couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

BigPimpin

Mahifishn  - I don't  see how you got such low counts in the 10".  My SV with same choke and load averaged 100 more in the 10".  My M3500 did even better.  What was the temperature and wind?  I understand that every gun/choke/load combo will shoot different, but both my guns and both yours were way off.  It was 67 degrees the day I tested.

BigPimpin

My #7 put up almost what your #9 did.  That's weird.

I run denatured alcohol and a boresnake through between every shot.  Are you cleaning between shots?

——-UPDATE——-

Today I shot 3" with my M1.  It put up more in the 10" than your 3.5" did.  Interesting.