OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Federal TSS with Trulock TSS Chokes - UPDATE

Started by BigPimpin, February 26, 2018, 07:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPimpin

This is what I'm getting so far with the Trulock Federal TSS chokes and the 3.5" Federal TSS #7 and #9.  The #7 chokes are .650 and the #9 chokes are .640. 

Benelli SV 28"
#7 (235 in the 10") 56%
#9 (364 in the 10") 45%

Stoger M3500 24"
#7 (233 in the 10") 56%
#9 (391 in the 10") 48%

I will shoot the Ber/Ben chokes in a 24" M1 with 3" #7 and #9 next weekend.  Still can't get my hands on any 20GA ammo, but have the chokes for an M2 on order.

I would like to add that the 3.5" kick like a mule.  Worse than any 3.5" shells I've ever shot, including Remington Hypersonic waterfowl loads. 

Also, my buddy shot both 3.5" loads with IC .665 and it shot them well.

Contrary to the current internet experts, these constrictions weren't what I would consider over-choked for the loads.  No blown patterns.  No exploding barrels.

—————UPDATE—————

I tested 3" Federal TSS #7 and #9 with the .640 and .650 Trulock Federal TSS chokes today. 

50 degrees, 40 yards measured.

Benelli M1 Super 90 Field 24" Barrel

#7 with .650 choke 179 in 10" (55%)
#9 with .640 choke 296 in 10" (47%)
#9 with .650 choke 298 in 10" (47%)

Shot the #9 shells with the #7 choke this time and it performed the same as with the #9 choke.  Makes me want to try that test with the two shotguns I tested last week.  Could mean that the #9 choke is unnecessary.  Don't want to jump to conclusion until I do some more shooting. 
I'd rather be Drivin' > Disco.

mahifishn

I shot the 3.5" #9's out of a jelly head .660 and kick's .665 and did not have nearly that kinda luck. Most are saying overchoked. Do you have the numbers from your buddy's IC .665? I think that's the closest to what I shot.

BigPimpin

His M3500 did 351 with the #9 and 252 with the #7 (both 3.5").  He also sent a 2oz LB6 through that combo and got 245.  His patterns were nice and even all the way out and the nice thing about his set up is how he can shoot all three loads same POA/POI.  He's gonna run a TSS9 in the chamber with two TSS7 in the tube.  He will have 870/IC.665/FedTSS7/FedTSS9 data next weekend.

Quote from: mahifishn on February 26, 2018, 07:58:12 PM
I shot the 3.5" #9's out of a jelly head .660 and kick's .665 and did not have nearly that kinda luck. Most are saying overchoked. Do you have the numbers from your buddy's IC .665? I think that's the closest to what I shot.

mahifishn

That's awesome. Where did you find the Trulock chokes? I can't find anywhere that has them.

BigPimpin

I got them from Trulock.

Quote from: mahifishn on February 26, 2018, 08:30:30 PM
That's awesome. Where did you find the Trulock chokes? I can't find anywhere that has them.

AgingDisgracefully

I just went on their site and can't find them. How did you find the TSS chokes for the SV on their site? Thank you.

mahifishn

Look under Benelli Crio Plus... I only see the #7's choke, but they have .640 that should work too for 9's

AgingDisgracefully

Thank you. So you are referring to their models    PHCRP12650 and PHCRP12650P for the #7s? Or do you mean F7CRP12650 (the Trulock Federal #7)?

Sorry for these dumb questions, but given my noobness I have to be very careful that I am following correctly.

Gobble!

Awesome pattern! Do those chokes have wad strippers inside the choke or are they smooth?

mahifishn

The .640 will end in 640  the recommended choke for #7's is that F7CRP...

BigPimpin

mahifishn

I can confirm. You should probably call them. I had ordered the wrong choke tube. They don't have the TSS for #9's online, but they do have them in stock; Specifically for the Benelli Crio Plus.

taylorjones20

This is very interesting.  I've never owned a Trulock choke but man they look nice (they don't stick out of the barrel 2") and they are very reasonably priced!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Gobble!

Quote from: taylorjones20 on February 27, 2018, 10:28:21 AM
This is very interesting.  I've never owned a Trulock choke but man they look nice (they don't stick out of the barrel 2") and they are very reasonably priced!

They were one of if not the best choke for shooting Federals flight control wad. I'm wondering if they worked with Federal early on to work up a choke for these new wads.