OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Heavyweight 6

Started by PLP, February 22, 2018, 09:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLP

Being as I could not find any TSS feds for my sons 20ga rem..and I haven't dove off into reloading yet,and we will be traveling to Florida For a youth quota he was drawn for in two weeks..I was debating on what to get him and stumbled upon the heavyweight 6's at Rogers sporting goods for $17 a box..He shot hw7 last year and it was ok,but I know what Hw6 will do also..anyways I bought a PG 570BC which is unported supposedly designed for use with flight control,and I bought a .575 Carlson.just curious if anyone has had another choke perform good with the HW6 ..I know William at sumtoy and he lives in my hometown so probably go pay him a visit as well..I will post pictures of my patterns as soon as I get everything..Incase anyone is curious and aggravated with the lack of available tss..thanks!

worth612000

William would have been my first stop, Pure Gold 2nd just due to the fact I know William usually uses the .562

tnanh

I have a Carlson .575 for three different guns. It shoots more consistently than any other chokes that I have. Its not the tightest but it consistently puts 120-135 in a 10 inch circle in all three guns. I shoot federal hwt 7s and heavy 13 7s in a nef threaded in tru-choke most of the time. In my 870 youth model the h-13 6s shoot better than the h-13 7s and hwt-7s. Killed several turkeys out to 40 yards with the 870 and h-13 6s just prefer to carry the single shot.

mightyjoeyoung

My 870 youth with either the Carlson's. 570 or the primos tightwad will put up a beautifully even150 with the heavyweight 7s all day and 120s-130 with the 6s.  I have A LOT of both loads and won't hesitate to kill a bird with either.  It will shoot 140s with the hevi 6s and the original jelly head as well. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

FXDWG

Not sure if they are still good, but my sons mossberg youth 500 shot great with mag blends out of a cheap tightwad choke. The 20g H&R with a sumtoy that I set up for my other son shoots an insane pattern with fed heavyweight 7s. Heavyshot may be worth a try. Both were great out to 40. He's killed six birds at various ranges out to at least 40 with the mag blends. Haven't had the pleasure to hunt the H&R with Fed yet (can't wait. It's putting up better #s than my my 870 supermag)

PLP

Well with a dirty barrel I got my best pattern with Carlson .575,next was a primos tight wad,then the trulock .565,pg570bc was last..

Will try to post the pic from my phone but maybe I have to download tapatalk

PLP

This is the best I've gotten from any choke in my sons 870 w 21" barrel..with the 3" 1.5oz hw6..it's for my kid so I am happy with it..nice killing pattern..40yds..and those hw6's are strong..will give her a good cleaning..the other chokes were in the 55-58 count in a 10" and this was 90..there are only 247 pellets in this shell..158 hit that 12x18 target..I will test the fed 7tss as soon as it comes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrowningGuy88

That's close to the pattern I get with my 870 with SumToy 562-5 and HWT 6's.

It'll kill...

tnanh

That is a good hunting pattern for a kid. My youth 870 likes to be clean. Clean it real good and then swab it clean and dry with denatured alcohol and the patterns with that Carlson will probably be close to 130. I have to make sure to swab with denatured alcohol to get all the Hoppes out or my patterns stink and I am not much on counting holes in paper anyway.

nyhunter

Quote from: tnanh on March 08, 2018, 02:07:45 PM
That is a good hunting pattern for a kid. My youth 870 likes to be clean. Clean it real good and then swab it clean and dry with denatured alcohol and the patterns with that Carlson will probably be close to 130. I have to make sure to swab with denatured alcohol to get all the Hoppes out or my patterns stink and I am not much on counting holes in paper anyway.

X2 mine likes a squeaky clean barrel and I ALWAYS use denatured alcohol. I actually don't use hoppies until the end of the season and I'm putting it up for the year.

savduck

My weatherby with a tempest 570 puts up 120 at 40 numbers with heavyweight 6s
Georgia Boy