OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

TSS 9's effectiveness ?

Started by owlhoot, February 18, 2018, 09:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwcim

Very simple physics formula: F=M*A. Force is equal to mass times acceleration. some people are confusing others who do not understand the coefficient of friction due to mass or the effects of constant temperature changes on a body, (thermodynamics), statics and dynamics of a body at rest and in motion. All these and other laws of physics apply to just the pellet not taking into consideration the wad design or powder concentrations and effects. Then we have the choke tubes to think about. Then the barrel, forcing cone length and etc. Think simple and let the targets show you the light.

Gobspur

My humble but educated thoughts:

1:  Let's compare TSS and lead of the same size, #9 for example.  We know TSS has a higher density than lead (18g/cc vs 11.3g/cc). Mass = density X volume.  So for shot pellets of the same size (volume), TSS will have more mass, because it is more dense.

2:  Everyone knows E=MCsquared.  So an object with more mass is going to have more energy.  Similarly, in the calculation of kinetic energy for an object in motion (KE= 1/2 mass X velocity squared), an item with more mass will have more kinetic energy given that the velocity is the same for each moving object.

3:  So you can see that it's the density, mass, and therefore energy that is higher in TSS than corresponding lead of the same size.  Now as you increase the size of lead shot, the volume of lead will increase, thereby increasing its mass and energy.  At some point of increasing the size of lead shot it will be somewhat equivalent to the mass and energy of the smaller size TSS (I've read varying reports...#5 or 6 lead roughly equivalent to #9 TSS, not sure what is correct.) But...

4:  That also means if you want to use larger sized lead in order to have the same energy as smaller TSS, you won't have as many pellets!  For example lead #6 is 222/oz, whereas TSS #9 is 362/oz. So in this comparison, a 2 oz load of TSS #9 would have 280 more pellets than a 2 oz load of lead #6.  You might have equivalent mass and energy per pellet, but a lot more pellets with TSS.  This is one of the advantages of TSS; more shot downrange creating a thicker pattern.

5:  Also, don't forget density.  Even if a larger lead shot (like #5 or 6) could have similar mass and energy as smaller TSS (like #9), it won't be as dense!  The denser TSS won't deform like lead.

6:  Last, penetration.  In general two items with similar energy and velocity, the smaller item penetrates further. One of the big considerations in a bullets maximum penetration is its ability to resist deformation.  NOT the same comparing bullets to shot, but still, denser shot size resisting deformation should penetrate further, given other variables are the same.

So basically because of the higher density, corresponding mass and energy, a smaller size TSS shot is as effective or more than a larger sized lead shot, while also allowing the use of more pellets....of which won't deform as easy, provide a better pattern, and penetrate better.

drenalinld

If mass is the same then the # pellets/oz will be the same. 5 or 6 lead matches TSS 9's in downrange energy at say 40ish yards. Pellet to pellet mass is not equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwcim

Simply Einstein's theory of relativity

Number17

Quote from: drenalinld on February 21, 2018, 08:11:05 AM
Fired at the same velocity there is never a time a lead 5 penetrates as deep as a TSS 9 in any medium.

False.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

dwcim

So E=MC^2 is not Einstein's theory of relativity?

Gooserbat

I think there are a lot of people who want to argue the discrepancies of tss who have no real world experience with it.  Personally I've killed over a dozen birds with it and saw a few more die.  I have my opinion and that is the only way any other shot is superior I'd in cost.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

OldSwamper

I don't understand a lot of these scientific explanations, as they are over my head. I did, however, agree with and think the baseball/basketball analogy made sense.  Nonetheless, if the weather holds, i plan to shoot a lead 5, HW7, and federal TSS9 from my 20ga this weekend.  I have some identical books, each containing over 1,000 pages.  Going to shoot at 3 books and see how many pages each shot penetrates, for what it's worth.  For my simple mind, the one with the most energy will penetrate the most pages, and the one i will likely hunt with

Swampchickin234

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 21, 2018, 08:25:00 PM
I think there are a lot of people who want to argue the discrepancies of tss who have no real world experience with it.  Personally I've killed over a dozen birds with it and saw a few more die.  I have my opinion and that is the only way any other shot is superior I'd in cost.
I share opinions.

Gobble!

Quote from: OldSwamper on February 21, 2018, 08:39:37 PM
I don't understand a lot of these scientific explanations, as they are over my head. I did, however, agree with and think the baseball/basketball analogy made sense.  Nonetheless, if the weather holds, i plan to shoot a lead 5, HW7, and federal TSS9 from my 20ga this weekend.  I have some identical books, each containing over 1,000 pages.  Going to shoot at 3 books and see how many pages each shot penetrates, for what it's worth.  For my simple mind, the one with the most energy will penetrate the most pages, and the one i will likely hunt with

Make sure the books are wet. It will yield more accurate results, or so I've read.

Number17

Quote from: dwcim on February 21, 2018, 08:14:35 PM
So E=MC^2 is not Einstein's theory of relativity?

The atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima produced 21 Kilotons of energy.

According to Albert's theory of relativity, at 190lb body mass, I am the equivalent of 1.86 million Kilotons of energy.

Hopefully that's enough to kill a turkey this Spring.

#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

dwcim

You must be an Engineer, quantum physicist or mathematician with your vast knowledge of scientific diversities and analogies. I am just a poor, dumb hillbilly who wants to try to kill a turkey.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: dwcim on February 22, 2018, 10:55:18 AM
You must be an Engineer, quantum physicist or mathematician with your vast knowledge of scientific diversities and analogies. I am just a poor, dumb hillbilly who wants to try to kill a turkey.
Yeah, but he never mentioned the Higgs boson.  Sheesh...

Johnnemily

This is a good argument lol a number 5 longbeard with the right choke will kill 10/10 birds at 50 yds why pay 7-9 bucks a shell if your only judging 40 yd performance? What is the exact density comparison for lead pellet size in equivalence to a tss #9?
#still hunting by the grace of god#

the Ward

Quote from: Johnnemily on February 22, 2018, 12:06:44 PM
This is a good argument lol a number 5 longbeard with the right choke will kill 10/10 birds at 50 yds why pay 7-9 bucks a shell if your only judging 40 yd performance? What is the exact density comparison for lead pellet size in equivalence to a tss #9?
This is my take on it as well. The juice isn't worth the squeeze, but I can see its use in small gauge guns to make them more effective at normal turkey hunting ranges.