News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS 9's effectiveness ?

Started by owlhoot, February 18, 2018, 09:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number17

Quote from: drenalinld on February 19, 2018, 12:22:08 PM
If you throw a baseball 90 mph and throw a basketball also 90 mph which one will travel farthest? Which one would you rather be hit with at 40 yards? This is the same concept.

Pretty lousy analogy actually.
Considering they are both falling to Earth at 9.8 m/s/s, they will travel exactly the same distance before they hit the ground.
Why not make it even more ridiculous and say which one would you rather get hit with, a shot put or a styrofoam ball?

#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Gumby

Quote from: Number17 on February 19, 2018, 11:16:50 PM
If you throw a baseball 90 mph and throw a basketball also 90 mph which one will travel farthest? Which one would you rather be hit with at 40 yards? This is the same concept.

Considering they are both falling to Earth at 9.8 m/s/s, they will travel exactly the same distance before they hit the ground.
Why not make it even more ridiculous and say which one would you rather get hit with, a shot put or a styrofoam ball?

This is NOT true. In a vacuum yes. But our world is not a vacuum and objects have resistance in the form of air. Thus the basketball and baseball will NOT travel the same distance before they hit the ground. The basketball will land first due to the greater resistance it encounters from the air due to its larger size. The same holds true for the smaller and denser TSS vs larger and less dense lead. Thus, the basketball and baseball analogy is a very good one.

drenalinld

You are wrong number17. The basketball will slow down much faster. It's a great analogy. You need to brush up on sports and physics. They will hit earth at same time if thrown at same time at same launch angle but baseball will retain velocity better and travel farther in same amount of time. Actually a foam or wiffle ball does expand same analogy. Launched at same velocity and angle as baseball will not travel nearly as far. Slows down quicker because of lower density.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

I want to see you throw a basketball from center field to home plate

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Number17

The aerodynamics of both balls are so similar that wind resistance will have very little effect on which one retains its velocity better. There is a term in the scientific principle they call "significant difference". If a factor or conclusion is below a certain threshold it is not even considered in the equation.

A baseball weighs 5 ounces. A basketball weighs 22 ounces.

With nearly 4.5 times the mass of its counterpart, yet launched at the same velocity, the basketball isn't just going to flop to the ground.

The initial momentum for the baseball is 450 Oz*m/hr
The initial momentum for the B-ball is     1980 Oz*m/hr

The initial kinetic energy of the baseball is  113.29 Joules
The initial kinetic energy of the B-ball is     501.72 Joules.

Everyone compares #9 TSS to #5 Lead.
A single pellet of #9 TSS weighs     1/362th of an ounce
A single pellet of #5 Lead weighs    1/173rd of an ounce

So the Lead #5 pellet weighs about 2x what the TSS #9 pellet weighs.

Comparing Lead #2 to TSS #9 (4.5X mass) is closer to basketballs to baseballs, but it is still a very poor analogy and quiet misleading.
Compare a major league baseball to a fast pitch softball...........then you are getting a little closer to reality.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Spitten and drummen

Wow. bottom line is TSS is harder , faster , retains more velocity and energy than any other turkey load. No sense in over thinking it , its just a fact.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

sasquatch1

He never said which you'd rather dropped on you. He said which would you rather thrown at you!

drenalinld

Baseball vs basketball is an exaggeration but not because of size difference. As stated a baseball weighs 5 oz and a basketball weighs 22 oz. The baseball has app. 13 cu in volume and the basketball app. 450 cu in. Comparing densities, the baseball would be about 0.38 oz/cu in and the basketball 0.049 oz/cu in. Baseball has greater density by almost a factor of 10. The TSS is just over 1.5x more dense than lead so it is and exaggeration but my point that the more dense sphere will retain velocity better is valid and significant. The similar shaped objects will perform similarly if dropped from the sky as long as density is above a threshold excluding surface friction differences. Not true of projectiles launched opposing gravity. Confident you understand it plenty well but thought my comparison was exaggerated.

Gamblinman

What I like about TSS is the pattern density and evenness of the pattern downrange. No turkey is escaping due to a hole in the pattern.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

LaLongbeard

I get that TSS patterns really well and is denser than lead. But I keep reading were people compare the 9s or 8s to lead 5s or 4s density and weight are two separate things. TSS 9s are nowhere near as heavy as a lead 5. Clearly there are more of the 9s but each 9 is a lot lighter than each 5.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Number17

Quote from: drenalinld on February 20, 2018, 09:14:10 AM
Baseball vs basketball is an exaggeration but not because of size difference. As stated a baseball weighs 5 oz and a basketball weighs 22 oz. The baseball has app. 13 cu in volume and the basketball app. 450 cu in. Comparing densities, the baseball would be about 0.38 oz/cu in and the basketball 0.049 oz/cu in. Baseball has greater density by almost a factor of 10. The TSS is just over 1.5x more dense than lead so it is and exaggeration but my point that the more dense sphere will retain velocity better is valid and significant. The similar shaped objects will perform similarly if dropped from the sky as long as density is above a threshold excluding surface friction differences. Not true of projectiles launched opposing gravity. Confident you understand it plenty well but thought my comparison was exaggerated.

Agreed.

Choosing to get hit in the head with a baseball or a softball at 90mph.........eh, take your pick.....they are both going to knock you out cold.
Now, having your choice between 30 baseballs or 10 softballs thrown at you at once?........I'll take my chances with the softballs everytime.
I believe that is the true value of TSS.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Phire Phite

On the 9's vs 5's, would it be safe to say that tss seems to have 80-100% more hits in your circle than lead 5 patterns. So, if two 9 tss pellets hit in the same general area as one 5, wouldn't the energy be the same?  I'm not nearly as smart as some of the fellers up there ^^^ posting above me though.

Number17

I think it's pretty safe to say that a single #5 Lead carries at least twice the energy of a single #9 for our intents and purposes.
However, that single #9 carries its energy in a much more compact and harder package, so it will penetrate soft tissue better.
According to penetration tests, the #5 lead and #9 TSS have similar penetration depth at given yardage.
The lead is still carrying more energy (knockdown power), but that's rarely relevant in turkey hunting.

So it's not the amount of energy you are looking for downrange, but the number of lethal hits. And the TSS is giving you around twice the number of lethal hits for the same amount of energy.

With that being said, I'm still going to be packing Longbeard #5s in my 12G 870 this year. The last 8 times I pulled the trigger have resulted in a dead Tom.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

drenalinld

Fired at the same velocity there is never a time a lead 5 penetrates as deep as a TSS 9 in any medium.

owlhoot

Quote from: drenalinld on February 21, 2018, 08:11:05 AM
Fired at the same velocity there is never a time a lead 5 penetrates as deep as a TSS 9 in any medium.

Seems to be a lot of talk about velocity being a factor here?