News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS 9's effectiveness ?

Started by owlhoot, February 18, 2018, 09:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

What makes TSS 9 shot effective?
It is no heavier than lead 7 1/2 . So same pellet count.
Could being heavier and so small allow it to keep its velocity higher down range ?
Does any shot harder than the bones you are trying break increase its effectiveness?
What do you all think?

Tail Feathers

Because of the weight to surface ratio, it penetrates further than lead of similar shot size.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

fallhnt

I bet if you had 1oz. 7.5 and 1oz. 9 there would BE more pellets in 9 TSS ,lead or whatever

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

owlhoot

Quote from: fallhnt on February 18, 2018, 11:29:39 PM
I bet if you had 1oz. 7.5 and 1oz. 9 there would BE more pellets in 9 TSS ,lead or whatever

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yes about a dozen more tss 9's per ounce than 7 1/2 lead at 350 an ounce according to charts I have seen. So TSS 9's are about the same weight as lead 7 1/2. TSS 9's are just a touch lighter.

drenalinld

Smaller diameter means less drag or friction so it retains velocity better. Smaller diameter also means it will penetrate deeper. Now there is relationship of damage caused by larger wound channel but this could be offset by deeper penetration. Not smart enough to quantify that.

Spitten and drummen

don't have an answer for that but I can say they hit like a bus and are stone dead killers. Patterns are out of thi world. The only thing I can say is in speculation , that the density and weight is the reason.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

tha bugman

I bought two boxes of the 3" #9  Federal at the Convention.  I don't want to shoot too much, but what are the recommendations on a choke to use in a Remington 870 supermag? 

davisd9

This will be my third year handloading TSS 9s for my 20. Two of these birds were killed by a buddy shooting 9s. The shots were 10-12 yards to 40 or so yards. I will stick with the 9s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Dtrkyman

Size to weight ratio is key, as well as the fact the hard shot does not deform at all I believe it keeps fliers to a minimum. I was 7 for 7 last year with 9.5s, 15 to 35 yards.

The patterns these things throw are simply amazing, better than any 12ga hevi shot patterns I ever had. 

Gobble!

Density and pellet count.

Don't look too much into how heavy an individual pellet is. Hardness is the key. The hardness from its higher density combined with its smaller surface area is what allows it to penetrate better than lead that is bigger/weighs more than it.

Could being heavier and so small allow it to keep its velocity higher down range ?
I've heard TSS will maintain better velocity down range because of it having less surface area and higher density but I don't know the numbers or formulas to verify this, makes sense though.

Does any shot harder than the bones you are trying break increase its effectiveness?
Absolutely. The easier it is for a individual pellet to break a bone the better.

Deast1988

DavisD9 that last bird head blowed up like balloon great results you had with some of your own loads thanks for posting.

I'm shooting #9s and when my order from nitro comes in I have some 8x9s coming.

3 guns this spring running TSS in

BPS 12ga Indian Creek 2.25oz 3in #9s
Remington 870 youth TruLock #7 1 5/8oz Nitro #9s or 8x9s
Winchester sx3 .565 mad max Apex 1 5/8oz #9s

All 3 have proven 40yd killers with hevishot. This spring I'm looking to add TSS the table, if anyone I take hunting or does hunt with me they'll have TSS in chamber ready to roar.

drenalinld

If you throw a baseball 90 mph and throw a basketball also 90 mph which one will travel farthest? Which one would you rather be hit with at 40 yards? This is the same concept.

Bigeclipse

Quote from: owlhoot on February 18, 2018, 09:29:13 PM
What do you all think?

actually many gel tests show it penetrates better than lead 5s at 40 yards so WAY better! They retain their down range velocity WAY better, that coupled with a smaller diameter yields much better penetration. In fact, a few friends of mine have shot 9s at turkeys at 35 yards and the pellets which hit the body did FULL pass throughs or were just under the skin on the opposite side of the turkey. No way lead is doing that.

Mbhyman88

Quote from: drenalinld on February 19, 2018, 12:22:08 PM
If you throw a baseball 90 mph and throw a basketball also 90 mph which one will travel farthest? Which one would you rather be hit with at 40 yards? This is the same concept.

pretty good analogy

Gooserbat

I could try to explain it but with out explanation the stuff kills better and farther than anything else I've seen. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.