OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

**NEW here opinions needed** Patternmaster code black thoughts?

Started by BigGare, February 13, 2018, 10:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Quote from: BigGare on February 14, 2018, 05:17:19 PM
Thanks for all the input. Currently looking into all options. I looked into sumtoy but by reading the websites the chokes are very specialized for certain ranges and even though I do want to be able to shoot 40 confidently I also don't want to be missing at closer ranges as they say you are very likely to on there site
:welcomeOG:  Just to let you know, when you get into aftermarket chokes, all of them will shoot tight patterns at close ranges.  If you get a choke in the .660-.665 range for your 1187 and shoot the Longbeards your patterns are going to be tight at close ranges.  About the size of a baseball at 20, size of a bowling ball at 30 and beach ball at 40.  With today's chokes and ammo expect nothing less.  With that being said, even though we use shotguns for turkey hunting you have to have the mindset you are shooting a rifle at close ranges (aim small, miss small).  With tight chokes and shot that has resin holding it together (Longbeards), you will have tight patterns.  LB's (5's or 6's)and a choke in the .665 range, should perform well for you.  Sumtoy, Indian Creek are great choices with the LB's. 

Gooserbat

Lots of good choices, I personally shoot a .665 Jebs in my 870. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

zelmo1

My 870 has an old Jelly Head in it and works fine. Just too much recoil for my old bones, LOL

southern_leo

I run an 870 12ga with 665 Indian creek and #5 long beard. I get great patterns. Just won a Sumtoy in 660 I'm anxious to play with. You can go wrong with either. I'd call or email support at each company for their reccomendation on choke and shot for your gun

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BigGare

Bought an Indian Creek today at Bass pro. Going to see how it doesn't when it warms up and then if I'm not pleased go try a code black but the Indian Creek should be sufficient

Waynesworld23

Got a sumtoy .665 in my 870 that throws a nasty pattern with mag blends hevi 6s and longbeard 6s
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift